February 29th, 1659. (Leap Year)

  • theforestofdean
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2011
      I am very new at this.
      The entry for 29th February, 1659 starts:
      29th. To my office, and drank at Will's with Mr. Moore, ...
      At first reading, I thought Samuel had had a bit too much to drink with Mr. Moore. (Leap Year on an Odd Numbered Year). But then I got to thinking ... As I perceive it there were three annual calendars in force at the time.
      a) the common or garden variety starting 1st January;
      b) the Civil Legal calendar ... 24th March, I think - but correct me if I'm wrong;
      c) the Fiscal year - April, 5th/6th.

      Now, ignoring the problems inherent in the (tri)chotomy, my question is:
      Is this particular 29th Feb part of that web of possible dates or just a bit of booze talking ? ... or some other reason.

      I really am interested.

      Eric.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2011
        Why do some years appear like 1659/60 instead of just 1660?
        In Pepys’ time the new year officially began on 25 March, but in practice many people tended to take 1 January as the first day of the year. Thus in the official style 1 February 1659 is 1 February 1660 to most people. Pepys wrote such dates in his diary along the lines of “1 February 1659/60”. You can read more on this subject on the Calendar topic of the Encyclopedia.

        On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM, theforestofdean <ericmills1936@...> wrote:
        I am very new at this.
        The entry for 29th February, 1659 starts:
        29th. To my office, and drank at Will's with Mr. Moore, ...
        At first reading, I thought Samuel had had a bit too much to drink with Mr. Moore. (Leap Year on an Odd Numbered Year). But then I got to thinking ... As I perceive it there were three annual calendars in force at the time.
        a) the common or garden variety starting 1st January;
        b) the Civil Legal calendar ... 24th March, I think - but correct me if I'm wrong;
        c) the Fiscal year - April, 5th/6th.

        Now, ignoring the problems inherent in the (tri)chotomy, my question is:
        Is this particular 29th Feb part of that web of possible dates or just a bit of booze talking ? ... or some other reason.

        I really am interested.

        Eric.

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional