Re: [pepysdiary] Re: Site News: New BBC Pepys radio drama

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 16, 2011
      I agree with Pedro's verdict on the first two episodes -- which I listened to easily with the Radio 4 player near the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers in North America.  http://goo.gl/MeeWt

      This radio comic soap-opera has so far blown an opportunity..

      On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 12:20 AM, phe_tryagain <eastonph@...> wrote:
      I can listen to it from the BBC Radio 4 website (iPlayer I presume) from Belgium.

      After two episodes, I find this a typical dissappointing dramatisation of Pepys. More comedy than serious history. The Pepys actor is ok, but Montagu and Charles I (recounting his hiding in the oak story) sound like over-acting amateur dramatics!

      When Pepys wrote his diary, he was not writing comedy (like say Shakspeare's Falstaff). He was recording his daily life and important events in English history. Like most people, his life included a number of humerous characters and events. This should not be an excuse to turn his whole life into a comic sketch.

      --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:

      > http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2011/08/04/12801.php
      >
      > New BBC Pepys radio drama
      >
      > The BBC Radio 4 show, Woman's Hour is soon going to be featuring a drama based on Samuel Pepys' diary. There will be five 15 minute episodes, broadcast at 10.45am (UK time) from Monday 15th to Friday 19th August. Here's the press release from this page[1]:
      >

      > "Samuel Pepys was 26 in January 1660, when he decided to record his daily life and innermost thoughts. Kris Marshall stars in this new adaptation of his diaries by Hattie Naylor.
      >
      > Two years after a life-threatening operation to remove a bladder stone Pepys is feeling pretty well – despite having a lot on his mind.
      >
      > He's behind with his rent, he goes out too often, and drinks too much. He lies awake worrying about work and, despite being happily married, can't keep his hands off other women.
      >
      > For the next 10 years, in his secret diary, Samuel Pepys faithfully records the day's events, and confesses his innermost thoughts.
      >
      > He reveals what people in the 17th century ate, wore, did for fun and what they expected of marriage and of love affairs.
      >
      > Hattie Naylor's new adaptation features Katharine Jakeways as Samuel Pepys's wife, Elizabeth.
      >
      > Producer/Kate McAll for the BBC"
      >

      > I expect it will be available after broadcast on the BBC iPlayer but I imagine this will only be for UK listeners.
      >

      > [1] http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/radio/2011/wk33/mon.shtml

      > http://www.gyford.com/

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
         pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2011
        Let's hope the next three episodes have some redemptive virtues.

        Terry Foreman

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 17, 2011
          I didn't really expect anything else -- after all, something like this needs to play to the cheap seats, not knowledgeable high-brows like us   ;-)

          I thought it was interesting to hear them try to create an audio background for the Diary, as well as turning entries into dialogue.  Liza Picard is listed as a consultant, so at least they were trying to ensure that they stayed historically accurate (if, as is noted, a little sensationalistic).