Re: [pepysdiary] Background Info editors

  • SusannaG@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
      Phil,

          I think it sounds like a great idea.

      Susanna
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
        I'd be interested in this. I couldn't be responsible for too many pages -- damn this
        having-to-work-for-a-living thing! -- but could definitely pick a couple up.

        Would we be responsible for individual pages (of which there are many, with more to come, I
        assume) or sections?

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
          At 10:26 -0700 2006-08-22, Todd Bernhardt wrote:
          >I'd be interested in this. I couldn't be responsible for too many
          >pages -- damn this
          >having-to-work-for-a-living thing! -- but could definitely pick a couple up.
          >
          >Would we be responsible for individual pages (of which there are
          >many, with more to come, I
          >assume) or sections?

          Individual pages. Obviously, it's unlikely we'd find editors for
          every page, but there are a huge number of pages where there's little
          or nothing to say about a person/subject. And even if we only provide
          a useful encyclopedia-like summary or collection of links for a
          handful of pages, that's an improvement over what we have now.

          Phil

          >--- Phil Gyford <phil@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> I've been thinking that some of the background info entries aren't
          >> ideal as reference pages - once there are many annotations it's a lot
          >> of unordered material to read, and there's no telling where the most
          >> relevant bits will be. And because these pages are used over the life
          >> of the diary, some of the older annotations may contain links or
          >> information that no longer work.
          >>
          >> So I was wondering if this would be a good solution...
          >>
          >> Anyone can claim "ownership" of one or several background info pages
          >> and become its editor. They would be able to write an
          >> encyclopedia-style summary of the topic, and update it whenever they
          >> like. The editor could use material from the existing annotations and
          >> do new research if they thought it was needed.
          >>
          >> Of course, assuming this is a good idea, it relies on there being
          >> people who'd like to adopt one or more pages. So does it sound a good
          >> idea? Would you like to be an editor? If we go ahead it'll probably
          >> be a few weeks before I can implement it, but it should be a useful
          >> thing for everyone without too much work for me (always a good
          >> combination!).
          >>
          >> Phil
          >>

          >> --
          >> Phil Gyford
          >> http://www.gyford.com/
          >> tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
          >> aim: philgyford

          tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
          aim: philgyford
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
            Makes sense. Thanks!

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
              I'm with Todd, but am retired, though like others in this category,
              busy with other.commitments.

              There are indeed broken links (reorganized and deleted
              websites/pages) that can, in many cases be fixed.

              Monitoring a clutch of them seems realistic.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
                ** Low Priority **

                Could I do Religion? And Food? have great personal (and professional) interest in both.....
                Susan

                >>> terry.foreman@... 23/08/2006 5:07 am >>>

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
                  Okay, Susan, you can't just say that without telling us more ... dish, dish! :^)

                • Pauline Benson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
                    Hi Phil,

                    This is a good idea! Reasonable too.

                    I would especially support an editing that retained to-the-point
                    annotations along with any compilation or "digest" done by the
                    editors. There is some background information that we have frequently
                    referred to as events unfolded---such as Uncle Robert and his will,
                    Lady Castlemain, and the Sir Wms---that will need to be handled
                    carefully so as to remain the familiar groundings for reading with
                    understanding that they have become.

                    I'm interested in taking responsibility for a page or three.

                    Thanks for it all,
                    Pauline