Back to Pepys's weather after his Diary is ends online?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2011
      Sun Headed Into Hibernation, Solar Studies Predict
      Sunspots may disappear altogether in next cycle.

      Victoria Jaggard

      National Geographic News

      Published June 14, 2011

      Enjoy our stormy sun while it lasts. When our star drops out of its
      latest sunspot activity cycle, the sun is most likely going into
      hibernation, scientists announced today.

      Three independent studies of the sun's insides, surface, and upper
      atmosphere all predict that the next solar cycle will be significantly
      delayed—if it happens at all. Normally, the next cycle would be
      expected to start roughly around 2020.

      The combined data indicate that we may soon be headed into what's
      known as a grand minimum, a period of unusually low solar activity.

      The predicted solar "sleep" is being compared to the last grand
      minimum on record, which occurred between 1645 and 1715.

      Known as the Maunder Minimum, the roughly 70-year period coincided
      with the coldest spell of the Little Ice Age, when European canals
      regularly froze solid and Alpine glaciers encroached on mountain
      villages.

      [more...]
      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/06/110614-sun-hibernation-solar-cycle-sunspots-space-science/
    • Jenny Doughty
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2011
        According to my husband, whose hobby is studying such things, the increase
        in CO2 is helping to cancel out the effects of this. Umm - not sure how I
        ought to feel about global warming at this point, if that's true, though I
        imagine my grandchildren might have a different take on it.

        Jenny