Background Info editors

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 22 6:53 AM
      Hi,

      I've been thinking that some of the background info entries aren't
      ideal as reference pages - once there are many annotations it's a lot
      of unordered material to read, and there's no telling where the most
      relevant bits will be. And because these pages are used over the life
      of the diary, some of the older annotations may contain links or
      information that no longer work.

      So I was wondering if this would be a good solution...

      Anyone can claim "ownership" of one or several background info pages
      and become its editor. They would be able to write an
      encyclopedia-style summary of the topic, and update it whenever they
      like. The editor could use material from the existing annotations and
      do new research if they thought it was needed.

      Of course, assuming this is a good idea, it relies on there being
      people who'd like to adopt one or more pages. So does it sound a good
      idea? Would you like to be an editor? If we go ahead it'll probably
      be a few weeks before I can implement it, but it should be a useful
      thing for everyone without too much work for me (always a good
      combination!).

      tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
      aim: philgyford
    • SusannaG@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 22 9:22 AM
        Phil,

            I think it sounds like a great idea.

        Susanna
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 22 10:26 AM
          I'd be interested in this. I couldn't be responsible for too many pages -- damn this
          having-to-work-for-a-living thing! -- but could definitely pick a couple up.

          Would we be responsible for individual pages (of which there are many, with more to come, I
          assume) or sections?

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 22 10:41 AM
            At 10:26 -0700 2006-08-22, Todd Bernhardt wrote:
            >I'd be interested in this. I couldn't be responsible for too many
            >pages -- damn this
            >having-to-work-for-a-living thing! -- but could definitely pick a couple up.
            >
            >Would we be responsible for individual pages (of which there are
            >many, with more to come, I
            >assume) or sections?

            Individual pages. Obviously, it's unlikely we'd find editors for
            every page, but there are a huge number of pages where there's little
            or nothing to say about a person/subject. And even if we only provide
            a useful encyclopedia-like summary or collection of links for a
            handful of pages, that's an improvement over what we have now.

            Phil

            >--- Phil Gyford <phil@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> I've been thinking that some of the background info entries aren't
            >> ideal as reference pages - once there are many annotations it's a lot
            >> of unordered material to read, and there's no telling where the most
            >> relevant bits will be. And because these pages are used over the life
            >> of the diary, some of the older annotations may contain links or
            >> information that no longer work.
            >>
            >> So I was wondering if this would be a good solution...
            >>
            >> Anyone can claim "ownership" of one or several background info pages
            >> and become its editor. They would be able to write an
            >> encyclopedia-style summary of the topic, and update it whenever they
            >> like. The editor could use material from the existing annotations and
            >> do new research if they thought it was needed.
            >>
            >> Of course, assuming this is a good idea, it relies on there being
            >> people who'd like to adopt one or more pages. So does it sound a good
            >> idea? Would you like to be an editor? If we go ahead it'll probably
            >> be a few weeks before I can implement it, but it should be a useful
            >> thing for everyone without too much work for me (always a good
            >> combination!).
            >>
            >> Phil
            >>

            >> --
            >> Phil Gyford
            >> http://www.gyford.com/
            >> tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
            >> aim: philgyford

            tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
            aim: philgyford
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 22 10:54 AM
              Makes sense. Thanks!

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 22 12:07 PM
                I'm with Todd, but am retired, though like others in this category,
                busy with other.commitments.

                There are indeed broken links (reorganized and deleted
                websites/pages) that can, in many cases be fixed.

                Monitoring a clutch of them seems realistic.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 22 3:28 PM
                  ** Low Priority **

                  Could I do Religion? And Food? have great personal (and professional) interest in both.....
                  Susan

                  >>> terry.foreman@... 23/08/2006 5:07 am >>>

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 22 5:53 PM
                    Okay, Susan, you can't just say that without telling us more ... dish, dish! :^)

                  • Pauline Benson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 22 7:45 PM
                      Hi Phil,

                      This is a good idea! Reasonable too.

                      I would especially support an editing that retained to-the-point
                      annotations along with any compilation or "digest" done by the
                      editors. There is some background information that we have frequently
                      referred to as events unfolded---such as Uncle Robert and his will,
                      Lady Castlemain, and the Sir Wms---that will need to be handled
                      carefully so as to remain the familiar groundings for reading with
                      understanding that they have become.

                      I'm interested in taking responsibility for a page or three.

                      Thanks for it all,
                      Pauline