Re: [pepysdiary] Phil Gyford -- Lessons from 10 years of Pepys's diaries online

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15 9:11 AM
      Phil,

      You do have another thing or two to do on a daily basis!

      I found your presentation as informative and witty as the live audience did, and recommend it for both new and long-time and young and old.fans of the site and/or managers or would-be managers of similar web-projects.

      Terry Foreman

      .

      On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 3:58 AM, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:
      Oops yes, that reminds me that I forgot to post this 'Site News' piece here on Wednesday when I posted it on the site - I was in a bit of a rush!

      ----
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2011/04/13/12411.php

      My talk about the diary as an online story

      I’ve given a talk about this website three times in recent months, and the most recent event, SkillSwap Seeking Stories, has put up an audio recording of my talk. I’ve also put up the slides I used that evening, so you can try recreating the talk in the comfort of your own chair…

      Here’s the presentation on SlideShare (requires Flash).
      http://www.slideshare.net/philgyford/the-diary-of-samuel-pepys-by-phil-gyford-at-skillswap-brighton

      And here’s the audio on Huffduffer (requires Flash, or can be downloaded as an MP3).
      http://huffduffer.com/skillswap/38755

      You’ll have to make educated guesses about when to move on to the next slide if you’re really trying to follow along!

      The talk has varied a little each time, but not too much. It’s always about looking at the diary as if it were a story, and how best to tell a complex narrative like this online.
      ----

      On 15 Apr, 2011, at 02:33, robinsonmf wrote:

      > Lessons from 10 years of Pepys's diaries online
      > Cory Doctorow at 2:18 AM Thursday, Apr 14, 2011
      >
      > For ten years, Phil Gyford has been republishing Samuel Pepys's diaries online in one-entry-per-day chunks. On the way, he and a growing community of readers, historians, literary scholars and enthusiasts have annotated Pepys's legendary accounts of life in 17th century London. In this presentation, Phil walks us through the most surprising and interesting moments in his decade of Pepysianism, from random Twitterers who've taken on the personae of other characters in Pepys's saga to Google mashups of Pepys's London. I saw him present this earlier this year at The Story in London and it was marvellous.
      >
      > Links, slideshow, podcast etc. @
      > http://www.boingboing.net/2011/04/14/lessons-from-10-year.html

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional