Xmas present

  • beat_town
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 25, 2010
      My loving and resourceful wife found a very beaten-up copy of "The Diary and Correspondence of Samuel Pepys, F.R.S.", published in 1854 in four volumes by Richard Lord Braybrooke, and gave it to me this morning. This is apparently the fifth edition, and it's signed by its original owner, who -- if I'm reading his signature correctly -- was Alexi Hamilton Jr., who acquired the four volumes in August 1867.

      The interior pages are fragile but readable, but the bindings of all four volumes are in bad shape. I don't want to completely rebind them and thus render them "inauthentic," but I would like to actually be able to leaf through them without worrying about destroying them. Anyone have suggestions as to what I should do to make them usable again?

      Happy Holidays, everyone!
      -Todd
    • carl_wickstrom@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 25, 2010
        Hi, and Merry Christmas
        I know about high end bookbinding and have done some hobbyist binding myself.
        It can be rebound and still be authentic.  Rebinding is normal, meaning the signatures are separated and resewn to binding tapes, the cover salvaged, and all rebound.  Weitz, Weitz, and Coleman in NYC can do this for let's say $300.  A hobbyist can do as well for $100.  I think the value of the four volumes at auction would be $100 on a good day.  The market for this is very limited, even if someone sniffs at this being inauthentic.  Kaminski Auctions in Beverly MA can tell you more.  Auction price paid is often 20% of retail price, might get up to 40%.  The competition would be a Dover reprint or something recent, selling for $75.
        All depends on if the paper is cracking from old time acid.  If it's supple and not cracking, you've got a good chance at rebinding.
        I know a guy in North County, San Diego who does bookbinding for the Niixon Presidential Library.  He gets $1,000 a book.  The books are simply gorgeous, and worth $1,000.  I had a cast album for "The Age Of Innocence" (Martin Scorcese) at Weitz, price $500, simply flat out gorgeous.  I didn't have $500 for such a splurge.
        You can keep the old doggie, and love it and enjoy it.  You can let a collector worry about getting it rebound.  I see you received this as a Christmas Present, from your devoted wife, and this is beyond price. Forgive me for such crass estimates from a practiced eye.  Cracking or supple, I'd enjoy the book.  It would go well with a sexy glass of wine.
        I could go on and on.
        Merry Christmas
        Carl Wickstrom    "Carl in Boston".

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 25, 2010
          Thanks, Carl!  Good information.  Yeah, all I want to do is get them to the point where I'd be able to read and enjoy them ... not as worried so much about the retail value.

          Any resources you know of (listservs, etc.) where I might be able to find a skilled hobbyist in the DC area?

          Thanks again for the quick response!
          -Todd

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 26, 2010
            Try your local State Library - they should have a conservation department which can give advice. If the block is still basically sound and the boards, but you have hinge failure - this should be fixable without making it 'unauthentic" as you say. I have an 1890s Wheatley which is in good condition - I don't think previous owners actually read it!
            Happy Christmas!

            --
            Kind regards,

            Susan Thomas

            Emphron Informatics
            Level 3 88 Jephson St
            TOOWONG
            QLD 4066

            Office: +61 7 3503 1765
            Mobile: 0411 094 688
            Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

            Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. The company screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.

          • Todd Bernhardt
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 26, 2010
              Excellent ... thanks, Aussie Sue!

              (On a related note, I'm waiting for our own "A Hamilton" to reply to this thread, to reveal whether or not the previous owner was a relative!   :-)

            • jahamiltonjr@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 22, 2011
                Dear Todd,

                Alexi Hamilton Jr. is not a relation, insofar as I know.
                Looking forward to meeting you Match 13.

                Andrew Hamilton