Re: [pepysdiary-social] S Pepys, home remodeling and cultural values

  • carl_wickstrom@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2006
      Terry:
      This is astonishing. I actually get a response re Samuel Pepys, our Great Leader.
      I can't imagine our Great Leader doing any home improvement of himself, or having any talent thereof and appertaining thereto.
      What do you say to that?
      Carl Wickstrom
      Near Boston Mass

      From: Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...>

      > I have a question about contemporary culture in the UK and perhaps Australia.
      >
      > Sam oversees the work of those who do home remodeling in his digs with
      > considerable care and enthusiasm, but doesn't do much except micromanage.
      > To be sure, he lives in civil servant housing, but
      >
      > IF he had his own digs,
      >
      > WOULD his conduct be the same and be typical (in the UK, elsewhere in the
      > British Commonwealth?)
      >
      > OR would he be as likely to be at least in part engaged in the
      > "do-it-yourself" pattern so often found in the US, and supported by home
      > improvement stores like the Home Depot and Lowe's
      >
      > Home Depot is one of the 30 components of the Dow Jones Industrial Average,
      > the chief US stock market index http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=HD
      >
      > Lowe's trails it http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=LOW
      >
      > Thanks all,
      >
      > Terry
      >
      > . .

    • Terry Foreman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2006
        Carl,

        I fully agree. SP was among but not OF his painters, joyners, etc.. Class
        thing, you know: he's not a tradesman.

        Is that still the British way?

        Yanks tend to be a bit different in that respect. I know some rather
        well-off types in my native Southern California (corporate lawyers,
        executives, physicians, academics who hold endowed chairs and the like),
        who make furniture, do sheet rock, serious landscaping, of course paint,
        repair dishwashers, &c. I know some folks in and around Boston, MA, who do
        the like.

        Terry Foreman
        writing from Murray, Kentucky
        (an hour and a half SW of the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers)

      • Susan Thomas
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2006
          ** Low Priority **

          The DIY craze (which is *huge* in the UK) did not flourish until the 1960's - until then everyone employed tradespeople to do everything. As a child in the 1950s, I remember that my father never redecorated or painted the house or anything like that - we had people in and we were normal middle class people - not wealthy or anything. It just was not done. But by the early 90s, when we left the UK, every quite small town had its branch of B & Q or Texas Homewares etc. and it was normal for quite complicated renovations etc to be done to a house by yourself, let alone routine re-painting.
          Australia has a culture of doing things for yourself - grown from the isolation of settlements in the 19th century - there was no other option, but to cope with everything from building your own house onwards. I imagine the US had the same sort of culture from pioneers settling the west. "wasting"[sic] a public holiday by not doing something around the house is perceived as a source of common guilt here and as Father's Day looms here (Sept 3rd), our mailboxes are stuffed with brochures advertising DIY tools to buy for your dad! My husband loathes having to do repairs, etc and refers to it as RIY - Rue It Yourself, as you always do.....

          Your Antipodean Correspondent
          Australian Susan
          >>> terry.foreman@... 25/08/2006 6:57 am >>>

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2006
            Of course that's
            Terry Foreman
            writing from Murray, Kentucky
            (an hour and a half SOUTH EAST of the confluence of the Ohio and
            Mississippi Rivers)
            (you can take the boy out of the SW of the US, but....)

          • Terry Foreman
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2006
              Susan, Thanks very much. My father followed the Australian pattern. Reared
              on a farm near Hannibal, MO, where the family had lived since 1818, who
              learned, as a boy, to do whatever needed to be done, earned a grad degree
              in Chemistry, became (after a winding career) manager of employee benefits
              for Union Oil Co. of California, and did in an upscale suburb, often
              teaming together with neighbors with similar histories, as you say, quite
              complicated renovations, etc. Good luck with what "looms" (great word to
              describe such "holy-days"!!).

              TerryF