Re: [pepysdiary-social] Digest Number 4

  • Alan Anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
      Oh that sounds like a lot of fun. Wish I was there,
      but will think of you all here in NEW Hampshire, US!
      Have a wonderful time. I'm soooo jealous ;-).
      Cheers (have a morning draft for me please, at one of
      Sam's haunts), Alan

      --- pepysdiary-social@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. The Lord Mayor's Show - this Sat 11 November
      > From: glyn_thomas1234
      >

      > Message

      > 1. The Lord Mayor's Show - this Sat 11 November
      > Posted by: "glyn_thomas1234"
      > glyn_thomas1234@...
      > Date: Wed Nov 8, 2006 9:02 am ((PST))
      >
      > Sam has just had his Lord Mayor's Show, we've had
      > another 340 since
      > then, and if you want to copy him, the next one is
      > this Saturday (11
      > Nov): www.lordmayorsshow.org
      >
      > One plan might be to watch the procession (it ends
      > at 2.30), then take
      > one of the free guided walks around the City
      > starting at the Royal
      > Exchange/Bank of England or else go to the Guildhall
      > Art Gallery
      > (entrance free) until 5.00, then watch the
      > fireworks' display on the
      > river opposite Temple Underground (it's always
      > spectacular):
      > http://www.lordmayorsshow.org/visitors/fireworks
      >
      > And afterwards, if anyone wants to meet at an ornate
      > 19th-century pub
      > called The Salisbury, 90 St
      > Martins Lane (between Covent Garden and Leicester
      > Square underground
      > station) at around 7 pm, I'll be there with a couple
      > of photographer
      > friends, probably at the back. Look for a postcard
      > of Pepys on one of
      > the tables.
      >

      > Messages in this topic (1)

      > (Yahoo! ID required)

      mailto:pepysdiary-social-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • Jenny Doughty
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
        Alan - I'm in Maine, so there are at least two of us with Lord Mayor's Show envy! I suspect Bradford, in Missouri, may be likewise afflicted.

        Jenny

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
          Alan - I'm in far western KY only 227 km (141 mi ) - over here a short distance -east of Bradford and I could be said to share Jenny's jealousy ca. 3100 km (2100 mi) more remotely than hers and a bit more than Bradford's; but it doesn't work like that, does it?!  Enjoy the great time with Dirk, et al.

          Terry

          At 02:00 PM 11/9/2006 -0500, you wrote:
          Alan - I'm in Maine, so there are at least two of us with Lord Mayor's Show envy! I suspect Bradford, in Missouri, may be likewise afflicted.

          Jenny

          Oh that sounds like a lot of fun. Wish I was there,
          but will think of you all here in NEW Hampshire, US!
          Have a wonderful time. I'm soooo jealous ;-).
          Cheers (have a morning draft for me please, at one of
          Sam's haunts), Alan

          --- pepysdiary-social@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          .
          b53e5d7.jpg

        • Susan Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
            ** High Priority **

            Well, I'm down here with the roos and the possums far too far away, but the prospect of doing something so English as to watch the Lord Mayor's Show, then the fireworks and end the evening in a pub sounds wonderful. Truly wish I was there. (minor sulk happening).
            Did I also mention snakes? Recently encountered a Tiger Snake (fatal bite) which reared up and went for me when on a bush walk. Most visitors hate the spiders here, but the big saucer-sized ones are actually more or less harmless and they eat the cockroaches. Anyway,* do * come and visit...... (after February when the last of our visiting English backpackers and other sundry Europeans go home).
            Australian Susan

            >>> terry.foreman@... 10/11/2006 8:50 am >>>
            Alan - I'm in far western KY only 227 km (141 mi ) - over here a short
            distance -east of Bradford and I could be said to share Jenny's jealousy
            ca. 3100 km (2100 mi) more remotely than hers and a bit more than
            Bradford's; but it doesn't work like that, does it?! Enjoy the great time
            with Dirk, et al.

            Terry

            At 02:00 PM 11/9/2006 -0500, you wrote:
            >Alan - I'm in Maine, so there are at least two of us with Lord Mayor's
            >Show envy! I suspect Bradford, in Missouri, may be likewise afflicted.
            >
            >Jenny

          • Todd Bernhardt
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
              No, you're right, Terry ... I'm in Virginia, and it's not the distance that makes the heart yearn,
              it's the Anglophilately ... Anglophilatism ... Anglophilometry ... Anglophilosophicalism ... love
              of England that pulls us all toward that greene and pleasante land...