Changes to the Dragon Tri?

  • Christopher Alan Riekert
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
      I just noticed that the Dragon Tri is going to have a six mile run next
      year. That idea upset me a little bit. I think that it should either
      be changed to a true international distance race or be left alone. I
      know I'm rather new to the sport but I know that the race distance was
      different in 2005 as well. I think that it would be nice to be able to
      improve on the course record, whoever sets it next year. If the race
      is aimed at swimmers the leave it the way it is. If everyone thinks
      the playing field should be evened then at least make it a 1500m swim,
      40k bike, and 10k run.

      What does everyone else think?

      Chris
    • Thomas Fischbach
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
        Chris - I tend to agree. I like to be able to measure myself against the
        previous year even if it isn't the course record.

        Cheers!

        >From: "Christopher Alan Riekert" <cowlick99@...>
        >To: peoriatriathlonclub@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [peoriatriathlonclub] Changes to the Dragon Tri?
        >Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 11:12:08 -0000
        >
        >I just noticed that the Dragon Tri is going to have a six mile run next
        >year. That idea upset me a little bit. I think that it should either
        >be changed to a true international distance race or be left alone. I
        >know I'm rather new to the sport but I know that the race distance was
        >different in 2005 as well. I think that it would be nice to be able to
        >improve on the course record, whoever sets it next year. If the race
        >is aimed at swimmers the leave it the way it is. If everyone thinks
        >the playing field should be evened then at least make it a 1500m swim,
        >40k bike, and 10k run.
        >
        >What does everyone else think?
        >
        >Chris

      • Troy Walcott
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
          Chris,
          I agree with you.  It was a change this year (shortening the bike and lengthening the swim).  So it does afftect the race a bit.  Hopefully next year's distances will be established and won't change from year to year. I think the race would attract more athletes if the distance is static.  Like Tom said, you want to try to go faster than the previous year.
          I'm sure Andy has his reasons for the changes.

          Troy
          Christopher Alan Riekert <cowlick99@...> wrote:
          I just noticed that the Dragon Tri is going to have a six mile run next
          year. That idea upset me a little bit. I think that it should either
          be changed to a true international distance race or be left alone. I
          know I'm rather new to the sport but I know that the race distance was
          different in 2005 as well. I think that it would be nice to be able to
          improve on the course record, whoever sets it next year. If the race
          is aimed at swimmers the leave it the way it is. If everyone thinks
          the playing field should be evened then at least make it a 1500m swim,
          40k bike, and 10k run.

          What does everyone else think?

          Chris

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Reid Hansen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
            I think it is preferable to have standard distances,... but... Andy did a great job organizing it, and that is the thing that counts. If he likes unconventional races, then let him do whatever fires him up. Look on the bright side of it Chris --- your performance will forever be a course record at that distance!  I am so bummed out about Chris moving to Chicago. We'll miss his enthusiasm and ability. Is it true you sold your car so you could get a better bike? Reid

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
              Thanks for the input guys. I do agree with Reid though, Andy did do
              a fantastic job of putting the race on and the addition of chip
              timing next year is a change that I am very please with. I would
              just like to be able to tell how much if any I have improved from
              year to year.

              As for selling my car for a better bike, well all that you hear is
              not true……I sold my car for new wheels. The 999's that I used a The
              Dragon Tri, Chris Barton was nice enough to let me use them. It sure
              is nice to have really good friends. I'm really going to miss
              everyone in the tri club that has been so receiving of me over the
              past few months.

              Chris

              --- In peoriatriathlonclub@yahoogroups.com, "Reid Hansen"