Josiah Penwell - Delaware 1831
- History of Delaware, 1609-1888
Methodist Protestant Church. In November, 1831, the doctrines of
the Methodist Protestant Church were introduced in Laurel by Rev.
Thomas Pearson. The first services were held in a school-house on the
site of the present school building, near the Methodist Episcopal
Church. The project of erecting a church was soon inaugurated by
Messrs. Geo. Phillips. Dr. S. Greene and C.C. Windsor. In 1832 a
class was formed composed of the following persons: Nathaniel Horsey,
Eliza Horsey,C.C. Windsor and wife, Levin A. Collins and Josiah
Penwell. In the same year the church was opened for services although
not yet completed. The dedicatory services were conducted by Rev.
Samuel Rawleigh. In this condition it was used until 1841, when was
plastered and whitewashed.