Re: Male Penwell's in the years 1808-1820 in NJ or PA

  • althoffjpa
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
      Mark,

      I am looking for parents of William Penwell (b. c1813 NJ or PA).
      Are you stuck on the James Penwell who was born c1822 who md Maria
      Duey? Do you happen to know where James was born and where his
      marriage to Maria took place?
      Maybe we have siblings in William and James.
      Just a thought!!

      Joyce

      --- In penwellpapers@y..., "Mark Penwell" <markpenwell@a...> wrote:
      > Joyce,
      >
      > I also hope someone has this information. I've been frustrated
      > by a gap in my own family tree. I have Aaron born 1740 with
      > sons Moses born 1765, James born 1760 and Thomas born
      > 1766. Then a gap between them and a Moses born 1798 (who
      > moved to Ohio in the early 1800's) and a James A., born 1822,
      > who married a Maria Duey, then died in the Cival War. All this
      > has been tossed around the Penwell Papers so it isn't really
      > new stuff. See my posting #1328.
      >
      > Mark
    • Mark Penwell
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2002
        Joyce,

        James was born in Cumberland County, PA, in 1822. Don't
        know specific town. James and Maria Duey were married July
        25th, 1844, at the Lutheran Church in Shippensburg, PA. The
        Rev. John T. Williams performed the ceremony. I have this
        wonderful copy of a handwritten letter by Maria stating those
        facts. The letter is actually a petition asserting that Maria is in
        fact the wife of James, who died as the result of an injury
        suffered in a Cival War battle, and she wishes to claim his
        "effects". The letter states that James died September 28th,
        1864 in a hospital on Daniel's Island in the New York Harbor.

        Unfortunately, Joyce, even though I have a rather complete "tree"
        of decendents back to James, things break down at that point,
        and I share your frustration. There is no William even suggested
        with the information I have for that Penwell line in the early
        1800's. However, it is rather suspicious that I have no siblings
        for James.

        Another problem is that I haven't worked on this geneology for
        more than a year, and actually have some sources to contact
        who might be helpfull. There is an individual who is not a
        Penwell but is a decendent of James and Maria. He has done a
        great deal of research about the Maria side. I'll contact him and
        ask what he knows about James' side. Did he have brothers
        and who was his father? Simple questions to ask. Sorry Joyce.
        I've not been very aggressive about this. Too busy with family,
        job, etc. Glad you got to me about this.

        Mark
      • althoffjpa
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2002
          Hi Mark,

          I have alot of unanswered questions concerning William Penwell.
          Cannot find his marriage to Susannah Dutton. Her parents were married
          in Loudoun Co. VA 1796-97. The Dutton's came to Washington County,
          Ohio abt. 1807. Susanna was probably born in Washington Co. OH, the
          census records indicate her birth in Ohio. Susannah's father Joseph
          was born in Chester Co. PA (now Delaware Co.). Why her father went to
          VA escapes me.

          I first find my 2nd gr-grandfather William Penville (Penwell) listed
          in the 1840 Adams Twp, Washington Co. OH.

          1850 Adams Twp, Washington Co. OH lists his birthplace as New Jersey,
          William Penwell dies 1857 at the approx. age of 44 yrs.
          Susannah dies 1889, age abt. 82 yrs, she seems to have been several
          years older then William

          First child of William and Susannah is listed as born in PA abt.
          1834, the rest of the children are born in Ohio. Big question as to
          where they were married, since 1st child born in PA, but Dutton
          family lives in Washington Co. OH.

          I also do not have any siblings listed for William Penwell.