RE: [penturners] A Very Happy New Year!

  • Rich Kleinhenz
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002
      If you search the net you'll probably find a 50/50 split for/against
      either machine. For home use, I don't think you can go wrong with
      either. I ended up with a Performax, and can't think of anything
      negative about it. Most Delta owners would probably say the same. One
      objection to Performax (for me) had been the small dust collection port,
      but they have changed that to std. 4" now. I think if you want to let
      price decide you will be happy!

      One advantage Performax touts for their machine is the shorter distance
      between the pressure rollers and the sanding drum. I thought that would
      be great, and tried to sand some short thin strips. And, to my
      surprise, ended up with a (small) amount of snipe! Ron, my advice would
      be to take some samples of your primary application to the show, and try
      them. They will have bigger boards there, and maybe demonstrate cabinet
      doors, but if you want to sand say 1' long 1/8" thick pieces of Corian
      you're pushing the limits of either machine, and you may find a
      preference in one machine over the other. I know you didn't ask for
      advice, and maybe you already decided on the Performax for one reason or
      another, but if you didn't, take a challenging piece that you want to do
      routinely with you.

      --
      Happy New Year from snowy Germany,
      Rich

    • Jim Knopf
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002
        Congrads to PAt L and hubby on their new saw, hope it give you many
        hours of enjoyment.

        Jim Knopf

        http://www.nuffsaidpensupplies.com <http://www.nuffsaidpensupplies.com/>

        mailto:jimk@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002
          Happy new year to you to, Pat;

          There is nothing like getting a new toy. I think we are all happy
          for you cause now we can throw out all those snide remarks about
          blenders. Now we concentrate on how to mix our glue slurries on a
          table saw. (bigger capacities and a flat surface).

          No offense Pat. A table saw was my second power tool and I would be
          lost without it even though I cut all my blanks with my little band
          saw.

          Happyness is having tools capable of doing the job at hand. Just
          don't ruin that Carbide blade cutting alabaster, HA!
          Save all that sawdust and mix it with CA or epoxy and create
          something new in the way of turnin' material.
          "MOE" Moser

        • Sawdust32@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002
            azsil@... writes:

            > Check out the Delta sander. I see where it is getting better reviews than
            > the Performax

            Thanks for the tip Bill, I plan on checking that one out also. Before the
            show. Do you have the Delta or Performax either one.

            Ron Frame
            Mark V 520, strip sander, belt sander, jointer, scroll saw.

            I expect to pass through this world but once.
            Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show,
            let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again.

          • Sawdust32@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002
              scubaman@... writes:

              > . I know you didn't ask for
              > advice, and maybe you already decided on the Performax for one reason or
              > another, but if you didn't, take a challenging piece that you want to do
              > routinely with you.

              Rich, thanks, and as always, all first hand advice welcome here with me. I
              need all the help I can get, and all advise will be considered. I did not
              even know that Delta made a thickness sander until about a week or so ago,
              someone on this list told me that he and/or his father had one, and they
              loved it. Advise from anyone who has or at least has used both models is
              even better.

              One of my questions would be, how short of a piece of stock can one safely
              send through either one of these machines. Say, for instance, if I had a
              bunch of glued up Corian, or for that matter, any kind of material, and
              sanded on one side on the belt sander, and cut the length of a pen blank.
              Would it be unsafe to run something that short through the thickness planer.
              If so, would it be feasible, if I had a bunch of blanks that were cut a
              little oversize, and one side sanded on belt sander, use double sided tape to
              tape several pieces in random order, belt sanded side down, so the thickness
              sander would make the top surface perfectly parallel to the bottom side.

              Ron Frame
              Mark V 520, strip sander, belt sander, jointer, scroll saw.

              I expect to pass through this world but once.
              Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show,
              let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again.

            • Brian Furey
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002
                Pat L. and her hubby? Maybe...but I think it is, shall be, can be, and will be Pat's new toy. Oh ..... her husband may get a chance, when the moon turns violet and is filled with rutabaga hearts, to look but probably not get a chance to actually touch. Pat will be cutting up all of the neighbor's fence posts, the garage door, and the coffee table looking for that one special grain to make the pen "infinite"! I am so sorry Mr. Lawson. You can get revenge though. Order one of the inlay machines that everyone is talking about in the group. She would never go near something like that. Yeah, right! Happily sitting in the shade of my cactus.....Have the best of days! Brian

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002
                  Ron,

                  Ray Allen had purchased a Performax when he got into making jewelry boxes
                  (the Delta wasn't even available then). It performed extremely well. When
                  I was making plaques (for trophy's) he ran some mesquite boards though it
                  and they came out beautiful.

                  After Ray passed away most of his equipment / tools were sold to Dale Nish
                  at Craft Supplies so I didn't have the opportunity to buy it - but I would
                  have given the chance.

                  Bill B.

                  > In a message dated 1/1/02 2:38:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  > azsil@... writes:
                  >

                  > > Check out the Delta sander. I see where it is getting better reviews
                  than
                  > > the Performax
                  >
                  > Thanks for the tip Bill, I plan on checking that one out also. Before the
                  > show. Do you have the Delta or Performax either one.
                  >
                  > Ron Frame
                  > Mark V 520, strip sander, belt sander, jointer, scroll saw.
                  >
                  > I expect to pass through this world but once.
                  > Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show,
                  > let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again.

                  > Please pass on to others you think might like to join!

                  > To Unsubscribe, send a blank messate to:

                • bluwolf29
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
                    Pat,

                    Congatulations on your new saw. I know you'll love it. One question,
                    have you got a new blade for it. The ones that come with the saws or
                    okay, but... I know, just what you want tot hear, spend more money.

                    Is the first project going to be the router table?

                    Mike in southwest florida