Re: [penturners] jigs

  • Randy Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
      Wayne; I have a sled jig for my TS. The fence closest to you is
      mounted about 3 inches away from the edge of the base and attached to
      this are 2 each 3" x 3/4" boards to keep the saw blade from emerging
      from the back of the sled. I have attached two cheap door handles on
      the right and left sides of the boards. When my hands are there, I
      can't reach the saw blade, and the blade doesn't come out.

      I also put a double row of recessed Tee-nuts (blind nuts) on both sides
      of the saw kerf. This allows my to clamp any fixtures, special angle
      jigs, etc. I need to the sled.

      I haven't mounted the Toggle clamp yet, but that is next.

      After Christmas rush is over, I will do a writeup.

      Merry Christmas!
      In all of history only two have volunteered to die for you....
      Jesus Died to save your soul,
      The American serviceman died to save your freedom.
      Remember both at this time of year......

      Later.... Randy S
      mailto:randyrls@...
      Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

      Wayne wrote:
      > Now if anyone gets cut on my table saw while preping blanks it is
      > because they want to :) I am still going to make some finger
      > protection for the back of the sled where the blade comes through the
      > sled. Hope this is not too confusing and I can supply a picture if it
      > is needed.

    • wfirvine
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
        The last time I was at the Woodcraft Store they had an electronic
        kill switch that will stop the blade the instant it comes in contact
        with a finger.

        --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <wb7whi@...> wrote:

        > I was involved elsewhere and not watching what the girl friend was
        doing on the table saw (she was cutting blanks). Next thing we know
        is that we are in the nearest emergency and she was getting 5 stiches
        in her finger.

        > That table saw is some 30 years old and has got everyone who has
        used it at one time or another including me (some 20 years ago now).
        I usually use a simple stop block on the miter fence and never had a
        problem but now there are several people turning pens in my shop so
        figured I should do something about the table saw.

        > I built a smaller version of a sled out of hardwood. Longer enough
        to cover the miter saw guide slots in the table and about 10 inches
        deep. Used 3/4 ply wood for the bed and Maple for the sled guides,
        cut to fit the miter slots.

        > It was simple to line up. used the miter to keep one side of the
        bed lined up at right angle to the right guide and put a couple brads
        in to temporarily hold the guide in place on the sled. Then attached
        the left guide in the same way. Turned the sled bed over and fixed
        the guides in place with a few counter sunk wood screws. It is just a
        tad sloppy (wiggle factor) but not enough to be an issue.

        > Mounted a couple of toggle clamps on each side of the kerf cut on
        top of the sled to hold the blank in place (once the initial cut has
        been made the remaining blank is smaller but can still be held
        securely by one clamp), and still able to use a stop block for
        production runs. Now if anyone gets cut on my table saw while preping
        blanks it is because they want to :) I am still going to make some
        finger protection for the back of the sled where the blade comes
        through the sled. Hope this is not too confusing and I can supply a
        picture if it is needed.

        > Any other jigs in use out there?
        >

        > Wayne WB7WHI
        > Spokane, WE

      • Wayne
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
          May save the finger but ruins the blade

          Wayne
          The last time I was at the Woodcraft Store they had an electronic
          kill switch that will stop the blade the instant it comes in contact
          with a finger.

          --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <wb7whi@...> wrote:

          > I was involved elsewhere and not watching what the girl friend was
          doing on the table saw (she was cutting blanks). Next thing we know
          is that we are in the nearest emergency and she was getting 5 stiches
          in her finger.

          > That table saw is some 30 years old and has got everyone who has
          used it at one time or another including me (some 20 years ago now).
          I usually use a simple stop block on the miter fence and never had a
          problem but now there are several people turning pens in my shop so
          figured I should do something about the table saw.

          Recent Activity
          a.. 20New Members
          Visit Your Group
          Yahoo! News
          Kevin Sites

          Get coverage of

          world crises.

          Yahoo! Finance
          It's Now Personal

          Guides, news,

          advice & more.

          Biz Resources
          Y! Small Business

          Articles, tools,

          forms, and more.
          .

        • Joseph Melton
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
            A customer wants a matched set, pen and pencil, in sterling silver. He wants hefty-sized implements of excellent quality. I can't find any larger pencil kits in sterling silver, and hope someone can provide a source.
            Thanks,
            Joe

          • Richard Kleinhenz
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
              If you have only 1 blade, but still have 10 fingers, it'll be tough choice, I imagine ;-)

              --
              Regards,
              Rich
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
                And you only have to buy a new TS for 12-1300 dollars to get the
                feature. I think I'll stick with keeping my fingers away from the blade.

                Dennis W. Ewing Sr
                http://www.onewoodturn.com

              • D KALISZ
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
                  I was watching the Discovery Channel and they had
                  shown an Saw Brake that stopped the blade and jammed
                  it into a metal block killing the momentum and turning
                  off the saw at the slightest touch of skin to the
                  blade while it is spinning. Cost about 200 bucks and
                  can be retofitted to any TS... Watched them stopping
                  blades with a hot dog... Neat gadget but... I would
                  rather keep my fingers away from the blade... Now If I
                  can just do that with the band saw... I am running out
                  of suture material........
                  Dan

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Randy Smith
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Dan; Think sled and toggle clamps!

                    D KALISZ wrote:
                    > . Now If I
                    > can just do that with the band saw... I am running out
                    > of suture material........
                    > Dan

                  • mike vore
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                      wfirvine wrote:
                      > The last time I was at the Woodcraft Store they had an electronic
                      > kill switch that will stop the blade the instant it comes in contact
                      > with a finger.

                      I took a brief look at the saw in my local Woodcraft. I think it is a complete
                      saw, not an add on switch. And if that happens it is a permanent stop, not a
                      reset and continue the same day. The blade cuts into a block of soft aluminum
                      which stops the blade. It looks like it works, but on wet wood I don't know.

                      > blanks it is because they want to :) I am still going to make some
                      > finger protection for the back of the sled where the blade comes
                      > through the sled. Hope this is not too confusing and I can supply a
                      > picture if it is needed.

                      >> Any other jigs in use out there?

                      If the sled it used only for chopping pen blanks to length I'd add a box to
                      the back of the sled that covers the blade as it exit's the back, and a stop
                      so the sled doesn't go far enough to have the blade cut through that 'blade
                      tunnel'.

                      --
                      Mike Vore
                      http://www.OhMyWoodness.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                        it's called a "Saw Stop"

                        http://www.sawstop.com/ - check out the testimonials:
                        http://www.sawstop.com/why-sawstop-testimonials.htm

                        the MSRP for a 10" cabinet saw is $2800, which is not much more than
                        similar saws from Jet & Powermatic - compared to the cost of a single
                        emergency room visit, the slightly higher cost of a Saw Stop is
                        definitely worth it. Even buying a new brake cartridge ($70) is
                        reasonable - (my ER co-pay is $50, and I don't know how much a finger is
                        worth LOL)

                        if you do some google searching, you can find a number of articles and
                        history of the product and the challenges they have faced in even
                        getting it on the market. I believe the initial concept was to be a
                        retrofit unit that could be installed on most table saws - but no other
                        manufacturer wanted to accept any sort of liability for allowing it to
                        be installed on their products.

                        I see they have a contractor saw coming in the future and prototypes for
                        a chop saw and band saw. I'll be in the market for a new table saw in
                        the next couple of years, and it will likely be a Saw Stop - unless the
                        other "big boys" start putting a stop mechanism in their saws.

                        I am not affiliated with Saw Stop - just impressed by their products.

                        Shawn
                      • Wayne
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                          When the saw blows up on you, you have to replace the clutch and the blade. A friend of mine has had 2X4's set it off before. Evidently there is a kill switch you can throw should you need to cut some known wet wood.

                          Wayne

                          > The last time I was at the Woodcraft Store they had an electronic
                          > kill switch that will stop the blade the instant it comes in contact
                          > with a finger.

                          I took a brief look at the saw in my local Woodcraft. I think it is a complete
                          saw, not an add on switch. And if that happens it is a permanent stop, not a
                          reset and continue the same day. The blade cuts into a block of soft aluminum
                          which stops the blade. It looks like it works, but on wet wood I don't know.

                          > blanks it is because they want to :) I am still going to make some
                          > finger protection for the back of the sled where the blade comes
                          > through the sled. Hope this is not too confusing and I can supply a
                          > picture if it is needed.

                          >> Any other jigs in use out there?

                          If the sled it used only for chopping pen blanks to length I'd add a box to
                          the back of the sled that covers the blade as it exit's the back, and a stop
                          so the sled doesn't go far enough to have the blade cut through that 'blade
                          tunnel'.

                          --
                          Mike Vore
                          http://www.OhMyWoodness.com
                          http://www.OhMyWoodness.com/photos
                          http://www.OhMyWoodness.com/thewoodenradio

                          Wayne WB7WHI
                          Spokane, WA

                        • hknott
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 2 4:44 AM
                            Hello Wayne, I was just browsing through some save emails and was reading about your jig. I was also wondering if you could send me a picture of it. Hope to see it, Happy New Year!
                            Herb
[...]

                            Mounted a couple of toggle clamps on each side of the kerf cut on top of the sled to hold the blank in place (once the initial cut has been made the remaining blank is smaller but can still be held securely by one clamp), and still able to use a stop block for production runs. Now if anyone gets cut on my table saw while preping blanks it is because they want to :) I am still going to make some finger protection for the back of the sled where the blade comes through the sled. Hope this is not too confusing and I can supply a picture if it is needed.