My First Pen! Re: An hour or so of your time?

  • bubbahu1
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 1:22 AM
      So I sent out the email below and received an answer from Shane Dodd
      (aka Doddman70). We scheduled a time to meet for Thursday morning,
      the 26th. Shane lives about two hours south of my sister. Turns out
      my blushing bride of 24 years had also set up a Noon luncheon with her
      best friend from high school, about 40 minutes north of where we were
      staying, meaning I had to leave the Dodds by 10am to keep our
      schedule. I'ld have 2 hours. I left at 6am, arrived about 8am, along
      with the box of blanks I had mailed from my home in Hawaii (some koa,
      milo, mango, lychee, red gum, robusta, tigerwood, bamboo, and
      palmwood, plus some solid surface samples), and the chunk of maple
      burl my sister was using to hold down her patio roof (I fixed the
      roof, she no longer needed it). Shane and Dawn greeted me and off we
      went to their work shop. We discussed wood and blanks and lathes, and
      mandrels and techniques, and a bunch of other stuff while Shane
      drilled the holes in some Bethlehem Olive, squared them, and prepped
      them for the lathe and Dawn finished another blank, showing me how to
      do it.
      I then turned my pen. Shane said it looked good. He did have
      another blank for me, but I ran out of time, somewhere after the 3
      hour mark. I so wanted to miss lunch and keep turning. Shane had cut
      the burl so most of it fit in the now empty box, he had to keep what
      didn't fit. They also threw in some resin casted blanks, some oregon
      myrtle, some 7mm bushings, and some slimline kits, and a blank or two
      for Kludge; basically filled the box for me. We said our good-byes
      and I headed back north. I did hit a good point, my mom drove my wife
      and family to our friends house, so only I was late for lunch.
      Oh, and the link to the pictures.

      http://tinyurl.com/2wouyd

      A very special thanks to Shane and Dawn Dodd for their time and
      expertise. I knew the people in this group were special!

      Brian G.

      --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "bubbahu1" <bubbahu@...> wrote:

      > Having been with the group for about four years now, yet still
      > never actually turned a pen (I've been calling myself a "pen
      > groupie"), and it being time to visit my mom in the
      Portland/Clackamas area of Oregon, I thought I would ask if there were
      anyone in that vicinity that might be willing to take some time to
      walk me through the process. I could bring a few local woods with me
      as an offering, and quite a few samples of solid surface material. If
      anyone is in that area and willing to meet, please email me off list.
      (Unless you come up with some classic line that just needs to be
      posted, I know how it goes).
      > Yes, I know there a few penturners here in Hawaii, I just
      havent had the chance to track them down (except Kludge, but our
      schedules seem to be out of sync for such an endeaver). Besides, this
      sounds so much more fun!

      > Brian G.
      > bubbahu*hawaiiantel.net

    • doddman70
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2 5:43 PM
        We had an awsome time it was a lot of fun to meet someone who is
        interested in pen turning and wanted to learn hopefully i didnt
        screw Brian up with to much miss information :.) it was a rushed
        time and we could have easily stayed in the shop all day(which i
        did :.) ) showing him lots of different stuff the wood brian gave me
        was absolutly gorgous and i cant wait to turn it there is alot of it
        that i have never turned before so it will be a lot of fun. now we
        just need to get him to fix his lathe so he can start turning. For a
        first pen he did an awsome job!!! i have a few mor pics in the
        overflow area under S&D Dodd
        http://tinyurl.com/yr8hop

        Shane