calligraphy pens

  • Don Ward
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2007
      Take a look at a trio of calligraphy dip pens I made yesterday. They
      are made from bocote, walnut, and mesquite. Enjoy and comments
      welcome. They can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/2264ak
      Do a good turn daily!
      Don
    • Radman

        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2007
          Hi
          My first reaction was to smile at the Bat, brought a quizzical frown from
          the middle pen, and really liked the bottom pen a lot.
          Good Turning
          Jack Stravage

          On 5/1/07, Radman <Radman@...> wrote:

          > Those look pretty nice Don. What did you do to accomodate the nib?
          > Tom
          >
          > Take a look at a trio of calligraphy dip pens I made yesterday. They
          > are made from bocote, walnut, and mesquite. Enjoy and comments
          > welcome. They can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/2264ak
          > Do a good turn daily!
          > Don

        • Bob Altig
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2007
            Nice work bud, as always.

            Those pens bring back memories of about 40 years ago when I worked
            part time hand copying instrumental parts from orchestral scores for
            some now famous musicians who were then working at recording studios
            in Hollywood. It was pretty good money for a guy that just got
            married and was working his way through college for a BA in music
            (pipe organ and choral conducting). I've still got the wife, still
            have my diploma signed by Ronald Reagan who was Gov. of Calif. by the
            time the Dean got tired of looking at me and let me graduate.

            I lost the pen many years ago. Those were some good times though.
            These days all that copying is done by computers.

            Bob

            --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Don Ward" <don@...> wrote:

            > Take a look at a trio of calligraphy dip pens I made yesterday. They
            > are made from bocote, walnut, and mesquite. Enjoy and comments
            > welcome. They can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/2264ak
            > Do a good turn daily!
            > Don

          • Don Ward
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2007
              Thanks Jack. The bat was not planned, but a design change when the
              finial I was trying to fashion decided to part ways. The middle one
              was not well planned either. And the bottom one is for my wife who
              wanted it that way. I need to practice and find a few pleasing shapes
              for the finial treatment. These are fun to make...but somewhat of a
              challenge...at least for me. I used a pin chuck to hold the blank and
              tool measurements from a Speedball #9451 nib holder.

              Tom,
              To accommodate the nib, I used nib inserts which fit nicely into a 7mm
              tube from a slimline. Here is a link to where I purchased them:
              http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/shop/showmproduct.cfm?pid=227

              Do a good turn daily!
              Don

              --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Stravage <stravage@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              > My first reaction was to smile at the Bat, brought a quizzical frown
              from
              > the middle pen, and really liked the bottom pen a lot.
              > Good Turning
              > Jack Stravage
              >

              > On 5/1/07, Radman <Radman@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Those look pretty nice Don. What did you do to accomodate the nib?
              > > Tom
              > >
              > > Take a look at a trio of calligraphy dip pens I made yesterday. They
              > > are made from bocote, walnut, and mesquite. Enjoy and comments
              > > welcome. They can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/2264ak
              > > Do a good turn daily!
              > > Don

            • Rich Kleinhenz
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2007
                Don,
                maybe you did it that way, maybe this will help. After you get the stock round (with the tail stock and live center in place) start working unsupported from right to left. Do the last 2" first, taper to final size, and fashion the finial. Even sand if you have to or want! Then take the next 2", and work towards the left. It's like ornament icicles :-)

                --
                Regards,
                Rich
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2007
                  Thanks Bob. I found several sources for nibs that draw music staffs
                  and special music nibs for drawing music notes. I suppose some still
                  use them for that. I was surprised at the variety of nibs available.
                  Do a good turn daily!
                  Don
                  --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Altig" <bobaltig@...> wrote:

                  > Nice work bud, as always.
                  >
                  > Those pens bring back memories of about 40 years ago when I worked
                  > part time hand copying instrumental parts from orchestral scores for
                  > some now famous musicians who were then working at recording studios
                  > in Hollywood. It was pretty good money for a guy that just got
                  > married and was working his way through college for a BA in music
                  > (pipe organ and choral conducting). I've still got the wife, still
                  > have my diploma signed by Ronald Reagan who was Gov. of Calif. by the
                  > time the Dean got tired of looking at me and let me graduate.
                  >
                  > I lost the pen many years ago. Those were some good times though.
                  > These days all that copying is done by computers.
                  >
                  > Bob
                  >
                  > --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Don Ward" <don@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Take a look at a trio of calligraphy dip pens I made yesterday. They
                  > > are made from bocote, walnut, and mesquite. Enjoy and comments
                  > > welcome. They can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/2264ak
                  > > Do a good turn daily!
                  > > Don

                • Don Ward
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 1, 2007
                    Rich,
                    I did them basically that way. I used the tail stock for support...cut
                    the blanks a little long and parted off the end. I am not very good at
                    turning the fancy dodahs on the end like you do on the ornament
                    icicles. That's why the top one looks like a baseball bat. I had a
                    design change, as well on the middle one. I need to practice on the
                    end treatment. But, they were fun to make and I'll definitely be
                    making more of these. I even wrote my son a letter with one of them
                    last night...I enjoyed that.
                    Do a good turn daily!
                    Don
                    --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Kleinhenz" <rlkl@...> wrote:

                    > Don,
                    > maybe you did it that way, maybe this will help. After you get the
                    stock round (with the tail stock and live center in place) start
                    working unsupported from right to left. Do the last 2" first, taper
                    to final size, and fashion the finial. Even sand if you have to or
                    want! Then take the next 2", and work towards the left. It's like
                    ornament icicles :-)

                    > On 5/1/2007 at 2:23 PM Don Ward wrote:
                    >
                    > >These are fun to make...but somewhat of a
                    > >challenge...at least for me. I used a pin chuck to hold the blank and
                    > >tool measurements from a Speedball #9451 nib holder.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Regards,
                    > Rich
                    > ================================
                    > Richard Kleinhenz
                    > http://beautifulhandmadepens.com
                    > http://www.woodpens.com/rkleinhenz.htm
                    > ================================

                  • Wendell Holland
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 1, 2007
                      Don Ward wrote:
                      > Take a look at a trio of calligraphy dip pens I made yesterday. They
                      > are made from bocote, walnut, and mesquite. Enjoy and comments
                      > welcome. They can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/2264ak
                      > Do a good turn daily!
                      > Don

                      Don,

                      I like your calligraphy pens and have made several myself.

                      Have you sold any of them? I didn't see them on your website. If I may
                      ask, what will be your price if you do?

                      Wendell
                    • F Jim Parks
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 1, 2007
                        Don,

                        Great pens. Truly this shows why one should never brag about the final
                        projects until it is finished. Keep up the good work.

                        Jim

                        F. Jim Parks, RHU, CLTC

                        Insuring Health and Financial Well-Being
                        PO Box 60 Palmyra, VA 22963
                        Voice: (434) 589-6000 Fax: (866) 323-4544 Cell: (434) 981-1899

                        Email: fjimp@...

                        Web Address: www.insureva.com <http://www.insureva.com/>

                        This message, including files attached to it, may contain confidential
                        information that is intended only for the use of the ADDRESSEE(S) named
                        above. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
                        any dissemination or copying of the information contained in his message, or

                        the taking of any action in reliance upon the information, is strictly
                        prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
                        sender immediately and delete the message from your system. Thank you.

                        All outgoing email is scanned by PC-cillin AntiVirus for your protection.

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 1, 2007
                          Thanks Wendell. I've not sold any yet so I've not set a price. They
                          are like most other stuff...they can be bought all day long for $5 or
                          less, but I would not turn on for that. I'm thinking definitely not
                          under $20. I need to settle on a price and the price will vary
                          depending on the material and my time. The more decorative on the
                          small end the more I will charge.
                          Do a good turn daily!
                          Don
                          --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Wendell Holland <weholland@...> wrote:

                          > Don Ward wrote:
                          > > Take a look at a trio of calligraphy dip pens I made yesterday. They
                          > > are made from bocote, walnut, and mesquite. Enjoy and comments
                          > > welcome. They can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/2264ak
                          > > Do a good turn daily!
                          > > Don
                          > >

                          > Don,
                          >
                          > I like your calligraphy pens and have made several myself.
                          >
                          > Have you sold any of them? I didn't see them on your website. If I
                          may
                          > ask, what will be your price if you do?
                          >
                          > Wendell

                        • Wendell Holland
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 1, 2007
                            My wife is in an art league and some people do some pen and ink work. I
                            toyed with the idea of turning some with a special "fitting" done at
                            some point for the artist so the pen would fit his/her hand better (and
                            I could charge more). Some informal marketing didn't turn up much, but
                            I still like the idea.

                            wendell

                            Don Ward wrote:
                            > Thanks Wendell. I've not sold any yet so I've not set a price. They
                            > are like most other stuff...they can be bought all day long for $5 or
                            > less, but I would not turn on for that. I'm thinking definitely not
                            > under $20. I need to settle on a price and the price will vary
                            > depending on the material and my time. The more decorative on the
                            > small end the more I will charge.
                            > Do a good turn daily!
                            > Don
                            > --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Wendell Holland <weholland@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Don Ward wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Take a look at a trio of calligraphy dip pens I made yesterday. They
                            >>> are made from bocote, walnut, and mesquite. Enjoy and comments
                            >>> welcome. They can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/2264ak
                            >>> Do a good turn daily!
                            >>> Don
                            >>>

                            >> Don,
                            >>
                            >> I like your calligraphy pens and have made several myself.
                            >>
                            >> Have you sold any of them? I didn't see them on your website. If I
                            >>
                            > may
                            >
                            >> ask, what will be your price if you do?
                            >>
                            >> Wendell

                          • Eric Spatt
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 2, 2007
                              Hey Don,

                              Nice pens.... could be a little better finish though, I will send you
                              instruction how to do CA ...he he he.... Thank you again for all the
                              help and your pens reflect your experience ...GREAT

                              Sincerely

                              Eric Spatt