Hey, I got a lathe! Now what?

  • bubbahu1
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 12:53 AM
      Having been a member of this group since December 3rd, 2003, I have
      finally gotten a lathe. Its large enough to do a baseball bat, so it
      should take a little while to grow out of it.

      http://tinyurl.com/2d44vz

      It came with a complete set of skews and chisels and other pointy
      things so I did my best to throw a piece of wood on it and start
      turning. I will not go into the details of how at first it wouldn't
      turn on or how I almost needed to re-wire the switch or that the
      circuit breaker for that particular outlet decided to die and need
      replacing, or how I cant turn down the wood tight enough for it to
      stay on and get the motor to actually turn it fast enough to start
      cutting the wood, so that if I do place a skew to the wood it
      eventually flies off the lathe (bought a face mask already), or a few
      other interesting dilemmas.
      I did find out that the chisels are not sharp enough so I am
      attempting to find a way to sharpen them using my belt sander, since I
      dont think the $12.00 garage sale grinder will do the trick. I'm not
      going to ask here, since I am quite certain I'll find that info in the
      archives.
      I guess what I'm trying to do is share with the group that soon
      (hopefully)(after 3 years)I will be able to turn a pen and post a
      picture (the turnings in my photo albums are not mine). Time to put
      into practice what I have read.
      Brian
    • Tony Wells
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 2:09 AM
        A nice Christmas present Brian! I think that perhaps you are starting with a rather large pen blank though ..... <VBG> In the meantime, clean up the end of the tailstock mandrel and put some wax on it to reduce friction where it holds the end of the wood. This should allow you to tighten it up enough to hold the wood securely without actually binding the wood. Also, check that the drive belt is tight enough, and that you have not got the pullies crossed. Starting from a blank such as that shown, you want it on the slowest speed - smallest motor pulley and largest lathe one.

        In respect of your $12 grinder, it probably just needs "dressing" to clean up the faces of the wheels. As you will need to keep doing this as you constantly sharpen up your chisels, buy a dresser sooner rather than later. When sharpening your chisels, do not hold them too tightly against the grinder wheel, as this will cause too much friction which in turn will overheat and burn the chisels tips. Hold them lightly against the wheel and firmly against the wood! Talking of which, you should have started cutting that blank down to round with a roughing gouge, not a skew - hopefully I haqve just misread you on that ....

        Apart from the above, welcome to the wonderful world of wood turning! Just remember that all you need are sharp tools and lots of practise!

        Tony Wells.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 4:18 AM
          Congratulations on the new lathe. Consider joining a local chapter of the
          AAW (American Association of Woodturners). Most clubs have mentors and / or
          workshops available to help you get up the learning curve (at no charge).
          An hour or two with an experienced turner will save you weeks (maybe months)
          of frustration trying to figure things out yourself. They also generally
          have extensive libraries of books and videos that you can borrow.

          Check out HYPERLINK "http://www.woodturner.org/"www.woodturner.org if you
          are interested (AAW Local Chapters link).

          Ed

          _____

          Having been a member of this group since December 3rd, 2003, I have
          finally gotten a lathe. Its large enough to do a baseball bat, so it
          should take a little while to grow out of it.

          3:24 PM

        • bubbahu1
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3 12:49 AM
            Thanks For the info! I went ahead and followed the link for the
            Woodturners group and have emailed the contact for more details on the
            next meeting. Its at our local Woodcraft Store, so I know where to
            go. They do have penturning classes ($85.00, I think)but are booked
            up for a few months right now. I have been to Kludge's place and have
            been meaning to go back for a lesson, but its been busy since
            November. He's got the coolest mini lathe to work on.
            No, that was not going to be a pen. I was hoping to just be able
            to round it out. Its a piece of Lychee wood, of which I have a dozen
            or so, and it was the easiest thing to grab. I work at a lumber
            company (hardwood) so have since then gotten some donnage to practice
            on. I have enough "scraps" (both wood and solid surface) to never buy
            a pen blank (unless I get tired of plain grain).
            My son does use the grinder to sharpen tools and some knives, but
            he says it vibrates a bit much (which explains the two oversized
            C-clamps he uses to hold it down) but I suspect that could be an
            imbalance of the wheels. I'll need to look at that. I have seen
            somewhere the jig to place the chisel against the wheel at just the
            right angle to sharpen it fast. I'll need to find that again as well.
            I thought I should get a new belt, since the one with the lathe
            has not been in use for several years. The belt is just long enough
            that I cannot use it in the smallest to smallest pulley setting. The
            motor is not far enough away.
            The lathe is set up right next to the driveway, so, If I can get
            into the habit, I will be able to come home from work and do that
            "good turn daily" that Don keeps suggesting, before going into the house.

            --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Wells" <oaksfield@...> wrote:

            > A nice Christmas present Brian! I think that perhaps you are
            starting with a rather large pen blank though ..... t lathe one.