Mazanita

  • Bob D.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000
      Anyone turned this beautiful wood. I was given a small tree trunk and
      asked to make a pen. I understand that it is very rare and on the
      endangered list? Is it toxic? Comments please.
      Bob
    • Eliza & Zoe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000
        I have managed to get my hand on some deer horn. I was told that it was
        from 1 year old deer. I haven't turned horn before - any hints?

        Eliza
      • jerky@ourtownusa.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
          I have turned some horn, both deer and elk. I find that you must
          drill slowly clearing the chips often, clamp the horn in such a way
          as to make it rock solid, as always the sharper the tools the better,
          and wear nose plugs. The horn stinks like a hundred wet dogs in a VW
          Bug. Horn changes in color as you turn. You never know what you will
          end up with until you are done. Good luck.

          Larry