RE: [penturners] First Fountain Pen - Inquiry

  • Peter & Joy Semple
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
      Yes, they are too long. There would probably be enough length, but the
      cartridge won't fit through the hole on the receiver that the finial
      screws onto, so you don't have the length of the finial to carry the
      cartridge - only the barrel proper. I suppose you could try enlarging
      that hole, but I haven't.

      Peter

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
        All right, so maybe there is a chance for the Churchill to take these cartridges! It has considerably more room in the back. It'd be nice if someone that has access to the cartridges and makes the Churchill could check it out.

        Wait a sec... are you saying it interferes with the metal part? I'll need to pick up some of those Waterman 8. The metal part can be modified fairly easily, depending on how close the fit it. Peter, do you (or anyone else) by any chance use Waterman #8 cartridges, and could send me an empty one?

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
          Yes, it interferes with the metal part. The hole in the metal part
          would need to be larger in diameter. I don't have any empties I'm
          afraid. I use the converters in all my FP's these days.

          Peter

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
            To give you an idea though - the cartridge is the same diameter as a
            standard short international cart - just about twice as long. Often
            referred to as long international size

            Peter

            --
            Regards,
            Rich
            Richard Kleinhenz
            penturners moderator
            Keep the group tidy! Delete excess text when quoting! Delete fullsize
            images!
            http://beautifulhandmadepens.com

            Our Reference Library is at http://tinyurl.com/5rsra

            The FAQ can be found at http://tinyurl.com/436kw

            The Tips and Tricks file can be found at http://tinyurl.com/4e4nk

            The best archive search is at http://tinyurl.com/25kge

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Please pass on to others you think might like to join!

            To access the the pentuners home page and use all the web features go to
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/

            Our Reference Library is at http://tinyurl.com/5rsra

            The FAQ can be found at http://tinyurl.com/436kw

            The Tips and Tricks file can be found at http://tinyurl.com/4e4nk

            The best archive search is at http://tinyurl.com/25kge

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Alan Casden
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
              Is there any way to removes bumpiness after using spray lacquer? In this
              case, the pen is already assembled so I guess that my questions are:

              Is there anyway to remove some irregularities in a spray lacquer finish
              after it is assembled?

              Before it is assembled?

              Best way to prevent it in the first place?

              Thanks,

              Alan

            • Tom M
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                My system for doing a lacquer finish is:
                1. sand the blank to 12000MM... the final finish is only as good as
                the finish on the blank... the smoother and nicer the blank looks the
                better the topcoat finish will look
                2. Apply 2 coats of cellulose sanding sealer, allow to dry and then
                sand that to 12000MM
                3. Apply 4-5 thin coats of spray lacquer with the lathe running at
                slow speed. Allow to dry for about 30 minutes...
                4. Remove the blanks from the mandrel, place on a drying rack and
                forget about them for about 5-7 days... lacquer needs to cure
                completely before being buffed out...
                5. Place blanks back on the lathe, polish with a wet slurry of
                Automotive polishing compound using a piece of damp tshirt. Clean
                with fresh water, then repeat using either plastic polish or
                automotive anti-swirl cream... DO NOT use heavy pressure on this step.
                You should have a finish like glass..

                Now this is what works for me... I don't doubt that others have
                methods that work for them... but the biggie here is to let the
                lacquer cure completely....

                Tom
                http://www.myfavoritepen.com

                --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Casden" <acasden@i...> wrote:

                > Is there any way to removes bumpiness after using spray lacquer?
                In this
                > case, the pen is already assembled so I guess that my questions are:
                >

                > Is there anyway to remove some irregularities in a spray lacquer
                finish
                > after it is assembled?
                >
                > Before it is assembled?
                >
                > Best way to prevent it in the first place?
                >

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Alan

              • Alan Casden
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Tom:

                  Thank you for the detailed explanation. I suspect that my biggest mistake
                  was not giving it enough time to cure. I do have some questions on your
                  instructions: Regarding item:

                  2- What is a cellulose sanding sealer? I have Mylands sealer, would that
                  work? How long between coats of the sealer?

                  3- How long between of the lacquer? Do you keep the lathe on between
                  coats?

                  5- Do you have a brand recommendation for the automotive polishing
                  compound? What about a plastic polishing compound? I have Novus 2 for
                  fine scratches and Novus 1 for clean and shine. Will one of those work?
                  Can I use both and eliminate the automotive polish?

                  I realize that this whole area is up for debate but what is your take on
                  these questions. I guess that once the lacquer is cured, there is not much
                  room for correction.

                  Thanks,

                  Alan

                  _____

                  My system for doing a lacquer finish is:
                  1. sand the blank to 12000MM... the final finish is only as good as
                  the finish on the blank... the smoother and nicer the blank looks the
                  better the topcoat finish will look
                  2. Apply 2 coats of cellulose sanding sealer, allow to dry and then
                  sand that to 12000MM
                  3. Apply 4-5 thin coats of spray lacquer with the lathe running at
                  slow speed. Allow to dry for about 30 minutes...
                  4. Remove the blanks from the mandrel, place on a drying rack and
                  forget about them for about 5-7 days... lacquer needs to cure
                  completely before being buffed out...
                  5. Place blanks back on the lathe, polish with a wet slurry of
                  Automotive polishing compound using a piece of damp tshirt. Clean
                  with fresh water, then repeat using either plastic polish or
                  automotive anti-swirl cream... DO NOT use heavy pressure on this step.
                  You should have a finish like glass..

                  Now this is what works for me... I don't doubt that others have
                  methods that work for them... but the biggie here is to let the
                  lacquer cure completely....

                  Tom
                  http://www.myfavoritepen.com

                  --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Casden" <acasden@i...> wrote:

                  > Is there any way to removes bumpiness after using spray lacquer?
                  In this
                  > case, the pen is already assembled so I guess that my questions are:
                  >

                  > Is there anyway to remove some irregularities in a spray lacquer
                  finish
                  > after it is assembled?
                  >
                  > Before it is assembled?
                  >
                  > Best way to prevent it in the first place?
                  >

                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Alan

                  Please pass on to others you think might like to join!

                  To access the the pentuners home page and use all the web features go to
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/

                  Our Reference Library is at http://tinyurl.com/5rsra

                  The FAQ can be found at http://tinyurl.com/436kw

                  The Tips and Tricks file can be found at http://tinyurl.com/4e4nk

                  The best archive search is at http://tinyurl.com/25kge

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  * Visit your group "penturners
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners> " on the web.

                  _____

                • Tom M
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                    1. Myland Sanding Sealer is cellulose sanding sealer... I also use
                    the Chestnut brand that CSU sells (or at least did). Sealer dries
                    fast and I can apply 2 coats in about 10 minutes and wait another 10
                    before sanding.

                    2. I keep the lathe running and apply lacquer coats about 10 minutes
                    apart, depending on the temp and humidity in my shop.. it it is
                    warmer and dry sometimes less... each coat of lacquer will burn into
                    the one below it, so you don't have to sand between coats unless you
                    get dust or cat hairs on it... reason our cat is outlawed from the
                    shop.

                    3. I usually use McQuires [sp] #7 or #9.. but the Novus polishes you
                    have will work also... I am not sure about eliminating the automotive
                    polishing compound, but you can give it a try...

                    As for not being able to fix the lacquer when it cures... not so.. if
                    you put more lacqer over it, it will just burn into the previous
                    layer, but of course you will have to let it cure again..

                    Tom

                  • Richard Kleinhenz
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                      OH! That I have some of! I'll check this out next week.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                        Tom:

                        I smoothed out the rough area with a dremel buff and then put some lacquer.
                        Magic presto.

                        Thanks, Alan

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                          Hi Group:

                          I have a spare DC motor and controller, with double ended shafts. I'm
                          thinking of setting up some sort of buffing system, both for pens as
                          well as other turnings.

                          Is this a worthwhile idea?

                          Can anyone help or tell me, what improvements it would make to my turnings.

                          Yes, I have read the FAQ.

                          Please write to me directly, to save clutter in the pen group.

                          Joe Yablonski
                          joegolf@...
                        • Richard Kleinhenz
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                            Is this the same as the Waterman 8 that started this off? http://tinyurl.com/9v4gl

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                              Do it! In the files section you'll find an article (or a link in the links area?) to what John Grounds did.

                              The improvements to your turnings are much faster results. Naturally you can get a superb finish without it. If you use a finish that you polish to a high level you can stop at some earlier stage and jump to that final luster very quickly and easily. I do CA, and it's a real time saver.

                              On 11/2/2005 at 5:15 PM Joe Yablonski wrote:

                              >I have a spare DC motor and controller, with double ended shafts. I'm
                              >thinking of setting up some sort of buffing system, both for pens as
                              >well as other turnings.
                              >
                              >Is this a worthwhile idea?
                              >
                              >Can anyone help or tell me, what improvements it would make to my turnings.

                              --
                              Regards,
                              Rich
                              Richard Kleinhenz
                              penturners moderator
                              Keep the group tidy! Delete excess text when quoting! Delete fullsize images!
                              http://beautifulhandmadepens.com
                            • Steve McDonald
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                                Yes...it seems so...the one on the right.

                                Steve