RE: [penturners] Ryan's offer

  • Don Levey
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 1, 2005
      penturners@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >> ... but if 300 people answer that they would be willing to donate 10
      >> well now we know we have the support and can start working on
      >> details.<
      >
      > Ryan, first of all thank you for your generous offer. That is a
      > really nice thing to do.
      >
      > The problem that I see with the poll is that I (or anyone else here)
      > could sincerely say I'd be willing to make 10 or even 20 pens, but I
      > couldn't say whether or not I could sell those pens. And if I can't
      > sell them, then they are not a donation.
      >
      > If the poll asked how many people think they could SELL 5 pens, or 10
      > pens, that would be more meaningful. This is not like the Freedom Pen
      > project where you can make a 100 pens and know that every one of them
      > will be needed and accepted. In this case, the pens have to be sold
      > before they are actually a donation. So I don't see how anyone can
      > commit to saying they will donate a certain number of pens unless
      > they know or believe they can somehow sell those pens.
      >
      > I certainly don't mean to discourage the effort in any way, but I
      > would not feel right about accepting free pens kits from you unless I
      > knew I had a way to sell the pens I made from them (and donate the
      > proceeds.)
      >
      > Pat

      Ah, I see - I was under the impression that someone would be collecting and
      selling the pens from the group. I could make 5 pens and donate *them*, but
      I don't know that I could *sell* them. While I have sold a few to
      co-workers and acquaintances, that's not what I do full-time, and it would
      probably take a few months. But I'd be happy to send my pens to someone who
      *would* be able to sell them.
      -Don
    • Bob Altig
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 2, 2005
        --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, <gordon@h...> wrote:
        > ok
        > WHO DO WE HAVE THAT WILL HEIP IN THIS PROJET

        Sir, with all due respect, many here are doing things to help. And we
        will continue to do things to help. Just because I haven't jumped on
        your bandwagon, doesn't mean I'm not doing anything.

        > Maybe I am all wrong

        Yes, you are, especially when you level personal attacks on group
        members!

        > But we sit here doing nothing and I can't stand doing nothing

        Then I would suggest you stop talking and start doing.

        Bob A