Re: Help: I have some old Craft Supplies 050-4160

  • D Cleverly
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2005
      I have a bunch of instructions but I have no idea of what the kit
      number is do you kn ow the type of pen?
    • Richard Kleinhenz
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
        --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "nobodyimportant80"
        <nobodyimportant80@h...> wrote:

        > I ended up with a few kits of craft supplies 050-4160. I've look at
        > the craftUSA web site and I can't find any reference. Does anybody
        > have any information about which bushing sets are used and what type
        > of step drill is required?

        Hi nobodyimportant80,
        I don't recognize that kit. Best would be for you to call Craft
        Supplies. Typically, stepped drills are dedicated and not
        interchangeable. So, you may need to measure the tubes, use a drill
        chart, and drill twice (or thrice) concentrically, to exact depths.
        If you can't find the right bushings, take a look in the FAQ, there
        are some notes on turning pens w/o bushings.

        Regards
        Rich
      • Dave Crawford
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
          nobodyimportant80 wrote:

          > I ended up with a few kits of craft supplies 050-4160. I've look at
          > the craftUSA web site and I can't find any reference. Does anybody
          > have any information about which bushing sets are used and what type
          > of step drill is required?

          I tried a google search on:
          craft supplies 050-4160
          and came with a dead link. But google's cached page worked, and got me
          to a Craft Supplies web page with a link that worked:
          http://tinyurl.com/6lt4r
          google is great tool.
          --
          Dave

          Some mornings,
          it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

          Orange County, California
          http://users.adelphia.net/~dbcraw/
        • Wayne Swindlehurst
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
            I don't under stand why you didn't get it in a search because that pen
            is in their current catalog. It is called the 10K Classic European
            Pen and Pencil. Look at page 94 of their newest catalog and its
            located there.

            Wayne

            <nobodyimportant80@h...> wrote:

            > I ended up with a few kits of craft supplies 050-4160. I've look at
            > the craftUSA web site and I can't find any reference. Does anybody
            > have any information about which bushing sets are used and what type
            > of step drill is required?
          • Bob Altig
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
              I can see why it was discontinued!

              Bob A

              --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Dave Crawford <dbcraw@a...> wrote:
              > nobodyimportant80 wrote:
              > >
              > > I ended up with a few kits of craft supplies 050-4160. I've look
              at
              > > the craftUSA web site and I can't find any reference. Does
              anybody
              > > have any information about which bushing sets are used and what
              type
              > > of step drill is required?
              > >

              > I tried a google search on:
              > craft supplies 050-4160
              > and came with a dead link. But google's cached page worked, and got
              me
              > to a Craft Supplies web page with a link that worked:
              > http://tinyurl.com/6lt4r
              > google is great tool.
              > --
              > Dave
              >
              > Some mornings,
              > it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
              >
              > Orange County, California
              > http://users.adelphia.net/~dbcraw/
            • Patricia Lawson
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                >I ended up with a few kits of craft supplies 050-4160. I've look at the craftUSA web site and I can't find any reference. <

                If you go to back to the CSUSA web site http://woodturnerscatalog.com/ and plug that item number into the search box at the top left of the front page (the box that says "Quick Shopper, enter item #) , it comes up with "10K CLASSIC EUROPEAN PEN WITH ARTISAN BAND".
                Now if you click on "Pen Kits", and go take a look at the Classic European kit. You'll see the step drill listed (it's item # 050-7042) and the bushings (#155-7999).

                Pat

                Pens By Patricia
                Laguna Beach, CA USA
                http://members.cox.net/pensbypatricia
                Penmakers Guild album
                http://tinyurl.com/5dtvm

              • Richard Kleinhenz
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                  It's actually a nice pen. One of my daily use pens. It uses a Parker refill, and is slimmer than most (all?) other Euro shape pens. There's really nothing unusual about making this kit that I recall

                  On 4/1/2005 at 5:22 PM Bob Altig wrote:

                  >I can see why it was discontinued!

                  --
                  Regards,
                  Rich
                  Richard Kleinhenz
                  penturners moderator
                  Keep the group tidy! Delete excess text when quoting! Delete fullsize images!
                  http://beautifulhandmadepens.com
                • Bob Altig
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                    It probably is a very nice pen Rich. Craft Supplies does't put out
                    junk, at least not from my experiences with them. I just find the
                    difference in diameter between the lower barrel and the centerband
                    rather unattractive, as it's pictured. Different strokes ...

                    Bob A

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                      AH! That's what you meant! Well, you need to be creative there and increase the diameter to where you want it, and create a clearance for the CB. I agree, that thick CB cannot be allowed to overlap the lower barrel fully. I'll look at the pen (sitting in front of my PC at home) and see if it's different from the 7mm version where they have a similar CB. And at the tip, it doesn't look food unless you run a short taper into the fitting - the change in curvature is not pleasing, IMO

                      On 4/1/2005 at 6:18 PM Bob Altig wrote:

                      >It probably is a very nice pen Rich. Craft Supplies does't put out
                      >junk, at least not from my experiences with them. I just find the
                      >difference in diameter between the lower barrel and the centerband
                      >rather unattractive, as it's pictured. Different strokes ...

                      --
                      Regards,
                      Rich
                      Richard Kleinhenz
                      penturners moderator
                      Keep the group tidy! Delete excess text when quoting! Delete fullsize images!
                      http://beautifulhandmadepens.com
                    • Dennis Ewing, Sr
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                        I have an order for 5 of them out of the olive blanks from Craft Supply.
                        At 50.00 a pen there are some who like the look. If I could take orders
                        for them like that every day I'd be a happy camper. I personally prefer
                        this version to the 7mm euros.

                        --
                        Dennis W. Ewing Sr
                        http://www.onewoodturn.com

                        It probably is a very nice pen Rich. Craft Supplies doesn't put out

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                          I'm glad you enjoy them.

                          Bob

                          --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Ewing, Sr" <dennis@o...>
                          wrote:
                          > I have an order for 5 of them out of the olive blanks from Craft
                          Supply.
                          > At 50.00 a pen there are some who like the look. If I could take
                          orders
                          > for them like that every day I'd be a happy camper. I personally
                          prefer
                          > this version to the 7mm euros.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Dennis W. Ewing Sr
                          > http://www.onewoodturn.com
                          >
                          > Bob Altig wrote:
                          >

                          > It probably is a very nice pen Rich. Craft Supplies doesn't put
                          out

                          > junk, at least not from my experiences with them. I just find the
                          >
                          > difference in diameter between the lower barrel and the centerband
                          >
                          > rather unattractive, as it's pictured. Different strokes ...
                          >

                          > Bob A>
                        • Dennis Ewing
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                            I guess I used a bad choice of words. I don't like any of the round
                            tops personally, but if folks are willing to buy them, I'm willing to
                            turn them.

                            Dennis

                            > I'm glad you enjoy them.
                            >
                            > Bob

                          • rewilson1125
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 5, 2005
                              Hi D,
                              I put your number 050-4160 in the keyword search on the CUSA site and
                              it took me to the 10K CLASSIC EUROPEAN PEN WITH ARTISAN BAND. Hope
                              this helps.
                              Bob Wilson