Re: [penturners] Has anyone tried Scotch-Brite Sirface Conditioning Discs?

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
      Howdy Bob,
      I use the Scotchbrite pads all the time.I have found the red to be about 300 grit and the grey to be slightly higher than my 400 grit.It works just great for me and after the grey I just go to the last four grades of MM.The Scothbrite pads seem to last forever and are easily cleaned with just a few taps on the side of my bench.I use them anywhere I use to use those grades of sandpaper and so far have saved a lot of time and cash with them.They sure are easier to hold than the old folded paper was <g> I cut mine into 3/4" strips and they just keep on working.I believe I am still on the first sheet of Scotchbrite and they still look strong.Hope this helps some.
      Your Friend
      Tom Munroe
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
        --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <ORIONLX200@a...> wrote:
        > Howdy Bob,
        > I use the Scotchbrite pads all the time.I have found the red to
        be about 300 grit and the grey to be slightly higher than my 400
        grit.It works just great for me and after the grey I just go to the
        last four grades of MM.The Scothbrite pads seem to last forever and
        are easily cleaned with just a few taps on the side of my bench.I
        use them anywhere I use to use those grades of sandpaper and so far
        have saved a lot of time and cash with them.They sure are easier to
        hold than the old folded paper was <g> I cut mine into 3/4" strips
        and they just keep on working.I believe I am still on the first
        sheet of Scotchbrite and they still look strong.Hope this helps some.
        > Your Friend
        > Tom Munroe

        Just a note of clarification here:

        As far as I know, the 3M Scotchbrite pads (come in square sheets)
        are NOT the same thing as 3M Scotchbrite SCDs (surface conditioning
        discs). The square pads are made of a non-woven material that is
        made for and great for sanding.
        The SCDs (the ones I am familiar with) are not made the same way.
        They are impregnated with resin that makes them a whole lot coarser
        and almost non-flexible. The "grit" rating is not real accurate or
        consistent as the sheets. They're a totally different animal
        although the base material is the same.
        The red sheets (Scotchbrite pad)are rated at 320grit, and the grey
        at 600grit. But as you found out Tom, 3M has a non-standard rating
        system.
        When it comes to 3M's paper, their "P" branded paper was developed
        to come in-line with most of the world's grit rating system.
        3M's "A" branded paper (among some of their other types) are in a
        class all by themselves when it comes to grit rating.

        Lynn Livingston
      • Bob Darrah
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
          I agree they wouldn't be much use on pens but I do a fair amount of boxes, too. I got them to try on the bottom of boxes. After I try them I will let you know what they did or didn't do.

          Bob
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
            Tom I am goint to try them on the bottom of a box. I'll let you know what they will or will not do.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
              Don't know why you would want to consider using these
              discs to finish pens. The discs are more appropriate
              to sanding larger surface objects such as bowls or
              platters. They do suffer from "melting" if they get
              too hot. The material they are made from is also
              available in sheets. I would suggest that if you feel
              compelled to use this material on pens, you should try
              the sheet version not the discs. The discs are also
              intended to be used in holders that are placed into
              either a drill or one of the non powered wood turners
              rotating sanders.

              Overall, these would be a bad idea for making pens.

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Tom
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
                Thanks Lynn, I had no idea they made all the other stuff(Scotch-brite) .I guess living up here in the "Great White North" kind of limits what we usually see<g>.Just kidding,I never thought to look for anything else.I happened to see a machinist at work use the square pads and he gave me some.I never looked back.They are very handy in my hobby work.I even tried to make a small circle to use on a small powered buff.It worked but not too great<g>.
                Tom Munroe
                "Still Spinning That Wood
                In Canada"