[penturners] Re: Burl

  • bob
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 5, 2000
      I'm sorry, I somehow missed this post earlier.
      WOW!
      that's a big slab of cocabola!
      Do you have a lumber yard with a BIG industrial bandsaw that might cut it
      into more manageable sized pieces?
      bgr
    • Robert F. Swartzendruber
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 6, 2000
        At 01:09 AM 2/6/00 -0600, you wrote:
        >WOW!
        >that's a big slab of cocabola!

        To whoever it was with the big chunk of cocobola,

        I've just got to ask, did you get that cocobola from a guy named Jim? Used
        to have a friend that brought some hugh chunks of it home from Panama or
        somewhere that he was stationed in the military. I've lost track of Jim,
        thought it might be him, and you might a way to get in touch with him
        again. He used to live in El Paso, TX.

        Thanks,
        Bob in TX

        Thanks,
        Bob S.
      • ed
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 6, 2000
          What's the difference between stabilized and non stabilized burl other
          than the obvious? Can non stabilized be used as is?
          Ed
        • Trace Sutton
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 6, 2000
            I just recently did that. I took it (I should say 3 of us!) took it to a
            hardwood supplier to get it cut. They tried with a huge radial arm saw and
            bogged it down. Then they used a band saw like a portable mill to cut it.
            >I'm sorry, I somehow missed this post earlier.
            >WOW!
            >that's a big slab of cocabola!
            >Do you have a lumber yard with a BIG industrial bandsaw that might cut it
            >into more manageable sized pieces?
            >bgr

            >Finding a sweetheart is hard work. Shopping for one shouldn't be.
            >Click here for Valentine Surprises!
            >
            >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/penturners/

          • Trace Sutton
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 6, 2000
              No, sorry Bob it wasnt from anyone named Jim. My connection is an AF flight
              surgeon that travels to S. America frequently. I never know what he will
              come back with, but it is always amazing!

              >To whoever it was with the big chunk of cocobola,
              >
              >I've just got to ask, did you get that cocobola from a guy named Jim? Used
              >to have a friend that brought some hugh chunks of it home from Panama or
              >somewhere that he was stationed in the military. I've lost track of Jim,
              >thought it might be him, and you might a way to get in touch with him
              >again. He used to live in El Paso, TX.
              >
              >Thanks,
              >Bob in TX
              >
              >Thanks,
              >Bob S.

              >Unique Valentine gifts, available now at eGroups.

              >-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=penturners&m=1

            • Trace Sutton
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 6, 2000
                Stabilized burl is usually resin impregnated through pressure and heat. It
                actually turns more like plastics than wood. It also looks great after
                sanding to high grit and then buffing on a wheel. No other finish has to be
                applied. There are some companies on the net that will stabilize woods for
                you, but I cant remember the names of them.
                Regards,
                Trace
                >What's the difference between stabilized and non stabilized burl other
                >than the obvious? Can non stabilized be used as is?
                >Ed

                >Want To Be Showered With Kisses?
                >Visit eGroups Valentine Gift Guide

                >-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=penturners&m=1

              • wkennedy
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 9, 2000
                  Is cocobola the same as cocobolo :-)?

                  lwk
                  __________________________
                  "If the mind is not there,
                  the message will also be missing".
                  ---
                • Ashling Ranch
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 9, 2000
                    lwk:

                    Yes

                    jp
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 9, 2000
                      At 11:02 AM 2/9/00 -0600, you wrote:
                      >Is cocobola the same as cocobolo :-)?
                      >
                      >lwk

                      lwk,
                      Yep, it's the same stuff. With my Texas accent I guess I not only pronounce
                      it wrong, I also misspell it. <grin>
                      Happy turning,
                      Bob in TX
                    • Alan Bone
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 11, 2000
                        G'day all

                        I have been messing around, trying to get my new web
                        site working.

                        Semi successful so far.

                        Main page works and the link to my " el cheapo " pen making
                        method seems to be OK

                        The woodworking link doesnt !

                        Main page is at

                        http://www.southwest.com.au/~alan200/index.htm

                        Pens are at

                        http://www.southwest.com.au/~alan200/woodtrn1.htm

                        I have mucked up the link to woodworking so to see my kitchen
                        cabinets, they are at

                        http://www.southwest.com.au/~alan200/woodwrk1.htm the first
                        picture link doesn't work either.

                        and also look at

                        http://www.southwest.com.au/~alan200/woodwrk2.htm

                        to see about 50 million pen blanks - in the round!

                        Finally a make it yourself picnic table

                        http://www.southwest.com.au/~alan200/picnic.htm

                        The first 4 pictures load quite fast, the last 5 are big
                        files because I forgot to change the resolution on the camera, which was
                        set for best quality. Will re-take them tomorrow in lower resolution and
                        reload on the site. Just looked at the time 01.25 Saturday morning,
                        12th and I have to be up again at 7. Goodnight ( or morning) all.

                        Alan

                        in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, 60km south of Fremantle