Re: [penturners] Best Wood For Pens

  • Bob Darrah
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
      Tom, I'm not going to give an answer to your question because there are those in the group that know a lot more about it than I do. But I buy a lot of turning wood on Ebay and there is a seller that has awesome blanks that I follow, and the pictures of his blanks are great. I don't have anything to do with this guy but I thought it provides an example of what is available. Here is the link:

      http://tinyurl.com/2pepd

      Bob Darrah
      West Linn, Oregon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
        > What are the best woods for pens?

        There probably isn't an answer to your question since everyone has their own
        likes and dislikes but there may be some general characteristics.

        The wood should be fairly hard and dense. These woods are harder to damage
        and take a nicer finish. They are also easier to turn.

        I particularly like highly figured wood. A pen is relatively small making
        the figure stand out. I have some Bocote that is highly figured. It looks
        really nice when turned for a larger pen. A figured wood like Bocote, in my
        opinion, would not look good as a table top.

        I don't particularly like open grained woods like oak. Filling the open
        spots takes too long. (But the results can be good.)

        You are using a small 'canvas,' so pick a wood with grain or figure to
        match.
      • tulsasawdust
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
          --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Storey" <thostorey@y...>
          wrote:
          > What are the best woods for pens?

          Everyone will have a different answer to this question. I personally
          like Amboyna Burl, Thuya Burl and Afzilia. But anything can be made
          into a pen. I have used Corian and some plastics, I am drying some
          corn cobs as we speak to make some pens out of. It will depend on
          what you are looking for in a pen to find out what the best wood for
          pens would be.

          Hard woods are easier to turn because there is less chance of tear
          out. Highly figured and burls are little more difficult because they
          tear out easier. Open grained woods will need to be filled with
          sawdust or something before your final finshing step. Just depends
          on how much "work" you want to put into it.

          Just my two cents.

          John P
        • Larry Gottlieb
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
            wrote:
            > What are the best woods for pens? I have access to a number of
            > hardwoods, some quite pricy, and I don't want to spend a bundle on
            > wood that is not suitable.

            Tom: If a beginner asked this question I would suggest cherry, apple,
            and walnut,
            They turn easily. If desired, they can be "dressed up" with
            contrasting bands or burned rings. The walnut looks better with the
            grain filled. (I use CA)

            After getting comfortable with these woods, the world of wood is
            yours.

            You will find that some are brittle, some blow out, and there seems
            to be various difficulties with many woods.

            Just try some.

            Larry
            Hand Turned Pens at http://pws.chartermi.net/~lgottlieb2/
          • Don Ward
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
              Best Wood for pens? Free....I'm being a little humerous, or
              attempting to be, but lots of free wood is available around us that
              makes beautiful pens. I find pallets that have some very nice wood on
              them. They come from Central and south America and we pay for the
              same wood when we buy blanks. The other day I found a pallet with one
              3x3 runner from ebony. I've found rosewoods, mahagony, bocote and
              others hiding in pallets. To the pallet makers the wood is junk, but
              to some of us it is a real treasure. The wood looks, well,not so good
              until it is cut into blanks. I am currently making pens from some
              really nice maple that was salvaged from flooring. Visits to local
              cabinet shops yields nice quantities of cherry, walnut, mahagony, and
              other woods from which cabinets are made. A visit to a cabinet shop
              the other day landed me a 1 inch square piece of very nice bloodwood,
              or for the weak of stomach, cardinal wood, about 8 feet long. It was
              headed to the burn pile. Keep you eyes scanning. Never know what you
              will find.
              Do a good turn daily!
              Don
            • Wayne Swindlehurst
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
                I've bought from IPOPPERWOOD also and have been very pleased with
                both the wood and the service.

                Wayne

                --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Darrah" <bobdarrah2000@c...>

                features go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/