Re: Please help with turning method - or tactics maybe....

  • Paul Russell
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      I purchased some Jade composite from this source last year and found
      the same thing. They are extremely hard. Not like Trustone at all. I
      was able to drill the blanks without breaking but turning them took
      forever. I was sharpening my tools every minute or so. However once
      done, the blank polished up beautifully.

      Here is a picture of it on my website..
      http://www.writingwoods.com/PenStyle.htm
      about half way down the page, the European Filigree pens.

      I like Larry's suggestion of carbide tips. Finally an excuse to buy
      one of Glynn's tools ;>)

      Paul Russell
      Denver CO

      --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher R. Hunt"
      <huntc002@h...> wrote:
      > Hello all,
      > I have a problem and maybe you can help me out. I am trying to
      turn
      > some blanks with no luck at all. Let me tell you the story.
      > I ordered these blanks off e-bay. They are webbed malachite
      composite
      > blanks. I'll put a link on the bottom of this page.

      > Here is the link to the blanks
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&category=3132&item=2334676388

      > thanks,
      > Chris
      > sorry for the long post!
    • Borg B. Borg
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        Not sure whether he's still in the business.

        Steve

        On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 13:16:38 -0000 "Paul Russell"
        <paul.d.russell@...> writes:

        > I like Larry's suggestion of carbide tips. Finally an excuse to buy
        >
        > one of Glynn's tools ;>)

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Richard Kleinhenz
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
          In the links area, under instruction, is a link to instructions for making your own

          --
          Regards,
          Rich
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
            What kind of a store does one go to to get the rolled steel and
            carbide cutters?

            Paul Russell
            Denver CO

            --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Richard Kleinhenz <woodnpen@o...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
              On 8/1/2003 at 6:14 PM Paul Russell wrote:

              >What kind of a store does one go to to get the rolled steel and
              >carbide cutters?

              Any of the machineshop supply places, like J&L, MSC, Travers, Enco. Links in the links area, under misc./tools. Drillrod works well