Re: expensive FPs

  • written_by@juno.com
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 1, 2003
      > More of them would be interested in what we make if we could give
      them something of a similar quality. That pen would would be made
      from parts of the same quality as found in a "real" fountain pen.
      They would also be 14k and 18k solid gold, and not the plated parts
      and fittings that we are using for our pens. >>>

      As a sometimes pen collector, my experience with other collectors is that
      they are likely to collect old vintage pens as well as new pens. From
      very little to quite costly. Search the web and you will find lots of
      pricey pens. You might also look at eBay and see what they buy. As for
      making them, well, the cost is in the name more often than not, and
      typically, the name is worth the cost because of quality. In my opinion,
      a vintage Waterman, Parker, Conklin, etc., is worth the price if it works
      ok. Some materials like celluloid and casein appeal to collectors. Some
      like demonstrators and some only collect name pens from old line makers,
      still with us and long departed.

      You can get replacement fillers, sacs, nips, etc from pen dealers and pen
      repair people. All that is needed is a good barrel. Making a lever filler
      is hard, but not impossible. I am not aware of any kits for these parts,
      though. One maker named Tigue or Tigue (sp?) makes multi-thousand dollar
      pens, but starts with existing pen parts.

      I think that if the pen is well made, some collectors will welcome them.
      However, I hardly ever see collectors that buy pens like most here make.
      This is not a reflection on anyone here - just an observation. At least,
      I never hear them discussed on the lists I am a member of.

      You can spend hundreds of dollars or thousands, depending upon the maker.

      Bob
    • Randy Smith
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 17, 2003
        Their web site is