Re: Surface sander and barrel squarer

  • Zach Bell <zbhover@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2003
      I have no clue why that happens, some people will see the pics fine,
      some won't and some will only see a few of them.

      try these links

      http://www.geocities.com/zbhover/ss1.JPG

      http://www.geocities.com/zbhover/ss2.JPG

      http://www.geocities.com/zbhover/ss3.JPG

      http://www.geocities.com/zbhover/ss4.JPG

      http://www.geocities.com/zbhover/ss5.JPG

      bye

      --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "terry_marrs <terry_marrs@y...>"
    • Daniel Yourdon <thegreatpapason@netscape
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2003
        Now those pics I can see.
        I was sent some instructions for making a honing wheel for my
        wet/dry grinder out of MDF, that are along this same line. I think
        I'll make one of these while I'm at it. I've been looking at a 30.00
        disc sander from harbor freight, but this would take up less space and
        cost less.
        besides I have a mess of olivewood around my shop that i can use to
        make jigs etc. with.

        --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Zach Bell <zbhover@y...>"
        <zbhover@y...> wrote:
        > I have no clue why that happens, some people will see the pics fine,
        > some won't and some will only see a few of them.
        >
        > try these links
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/zbhover/ss1.JPG
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/zbhover/ss2.JPG
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/zbhover/ss3.JPG
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/zbhover/ss4.JPG
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/zbhover/ss5.JPG
        >

        > bye
        >

        > --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "terry_marrs <terry_marrs@y...>"
        > <terry_marrs@y...> wrote:
        > > No go on the pics bro.. Just get the crosswind banner.
      • jkielty
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2003
          Zack
          So many interesting things you do.
          You just have too much talent for a 17 year old - how about sending some of
          it to me? I like to see a young person use their common sense.

          Jim Sr.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2003
            Thanks, I just stopped by menards today and picked up some stuff to
            make a small lamp, the bottom of the lamps going to probably be
            segmented walnut and ash and im going to make an open segmented lamp
            shade for it.

            bye

          • ncturner2002 <ruling@aol.com>
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
              Zach,

              You are one insightful and creative young man! Thanks for posting
              those pics! (I couldn't see the original ones either.) Anyway, that
              is so easy to make, do you simply hold the rings by hand to sand?
              Have you had any of the rings break apart? Do you use a hose clamp
              on the rings when sanding them? Also, do you find it a problem
              sanding the first side, or is it generally flat enough to sand?

              Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

              Greg

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
                Daniel.....ouch! And to think of what I have paid for olivewood.
                It's kind of like wood gold here!

                Greg

                --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Yourdon
                <thegreatpapason@n...>"

              • Zach Bell <zbhover@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
                  Thanks,

                  Yeah I just hold them by hand, and I havent ever had any break apart
                  on me, but if there is a lot of dry glue on the surface of the layer
                  then the the sander likes to grab it and one time I was sanding a
                  layer of bocote and it grabed it and shot it and it hit the wall, it
                  didn't brake though, so now I make sure I wipe off all the extra
                  glue.

                  When I glue the pieces together to make the layers I push them down
                  flat on the table and then tighten a zip tie around them and then sit
                  a couple boards ontop of them so the bottom of the layers are usually
                  pretty flat, and I don't put a hose clamp or leave the zip ties
                  around them, so far I haven't had any problems.

                  bye

                  --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "ncturner2002 <ruling@a...>"

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
                    Didn't exactly mean it sound that way. I have a bunc of logs of olive.
                    and am using some of it to make some really nice stuff for my shop.
                    some tool handles. a rack for my 115 drill bit set. etc. some really
                    pamper myself stuff. I just have way to much of the olive to keep in
                    my shop. one of the logs alone would have cost me $250 to buy.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
                      Daniel,

                      Well, you know, if you really need a way to get rid of it, I'd be
                      happy to discard it, just as a personal favor. :-)

                    • sourdoughme <sourdough@peak.org>
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2003
                        zach,
                        hose clamps, and zip ties. a man after arter my own heart. just goes
                        to show you, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! keep up the good
                        work and keep posting your pics.
                        dave young

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 4, 2003
                          I do have it up for trade! right now it's real wet and shipping is a
                          little steep though. the largest log is about 25 lbs. it may have lost
                          some weight since I last checked.