New Material

  • Bill Baumbeck
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hi Folks,

      This is an commercial ad so please delete if you wish to do so............

      A month or so ago there was some email passed within our Group about a different type of wood product I planned on offering. I received a limited number of samples from the manufacturer and I passed them out to some of the members of this Group (from 'newbie to expert) in order to get their reaction and comments. I read their comments and viewed the pictures that were sent and today I am announcing that a 'new' material will be made available to you that I believe that you will like.

      Some of you are familiar with Dymondwood and Colorply. The material I now offer is similar to these fine products but, in my opinion (and the opinion of a majority of my 'experimenter's), my offering is harder and more solid than Dymondwood or Colorply. It cuts and finishes like a dream, is very durable and offers you an alternative material for your turning projects. I call it Steelwood.

      This material consists of layers of laminated wood and comes in a variety of solid and multiple colors. Each panel goes through a process of intense heat and pressure and the resins used to bond the layers actually impregnates the wood which produces an extreamely durable product (much like a stabilized blank but harder). This material can easily be turned, sanded and buffed to a high gloss. MicroMesh works very well on Steelwood. No special tools are required and applying Mylands Friction Polish or similar finish will further enhance this material's color and beauty.

      I invite you to take a moment to view some pictures that were sent to me by some of the members of this Group showing the pens and key chains that were created using various color combinations of this material. While this wood may not be for everyone it does give you another option when selecting your material for that special project. The pictures can be seen at:

      http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/arizonasilhouette/lst?.dir=/Pen+Blanks.

      I currently have cocobolo, winewood, emerald green and the multi-4 material in stock with more varieties on the way. Each blank measures 3/4" x 3/4" x 5 1/4" long, are cut square, and sell for $1.99 each. If you require a longer blank I can cut them to your specifications. Larger blanks (7/8" x 7/8" x 5 1/4") for the cigar and El Grande sized pens will be also be available in the very near future. If you have a special order requiring specific colors (school or team colors, etc.) I should be able to fulfill that request.

      Another item that may be of interest to you is some beautiful and very solid amboyna burl. Pictures of this exceptional wood can also be seen by using the same link shown above. It sells for $15 per pound.

      I also just received some exceptional color stabilized boxelder burl blocks that are perfect for pocket watch projects, handles, bottle stoppers and even the larger pens. Most pieces measure 1 5/8" wide x 1 1/4" thick and the length's vary. The blocks shown in the picture (same link as above) are red, black, gold, teal, brown, violet and green (in that order - the gold is not as yellow as shown in the picture). The color goes all the way through and the figure of the boxelder burl is outstanding. These blocks are sold by weight and if you will call or email me with your size requirements I will let you know what is available. A typical block measuring 1 5/8" wide x 1 1/4" thick x 3 1/8" long sells for $5.80.

      I also have a limited number of color stabilized boxelder burl blocks cut 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" x 5 1/4" long and they sell for $17.95. All of these blocks are gorgeous!

      Thanks for your time and fell free to contact me if you have any questions.

      Bill Baumbeck
      P.O. Box 11170
      Yuma, AZ 85366-9170
      928-329-8039 evenings & weekends after 10AM (California time)
      Email: azsil@...
      Web: www.arizonasilhouette.com
      Pen Blanks: www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen%20Blanks.htm
      Wood Pens: www.woodpens.com/bbaumbeck.htm

    • Tim Boddy
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
        Bill,
        When I clicked on the link it told me the file was
        inaccessible.

        Tim

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • oldtool2
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
          Bill, it looks as if you added a period at the end of your link. This
          should work:

          http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/arizonasilhouette/lst?.dir=/Pen+Blanks

          Jim D
          oldtool2
        • Borg B. Borg
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
            Bill, Jay Pickens is an absolute fiend. No mere mortal can come up with
            such obscenely innovative and gorgeous designs. His designs give me a
            tremendous inspiration and a lot to think about.

            Steve

            On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 00:13:48 -0700 "Bill Baumbeck" <azsil@...>
            writes:

            .

            > I invite you to take a moment to view some pictures that were sent
            > to me by some of the members of this Group showing the pens and key
            > chains that were created using various color combinations of this
            > material. While this wood may not be for everyone it does give you
            > another option when selecting your material for that special
            > project. The pictures can be seen at:
            >
            > http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/arizonasilhouette/lst?.dir=/Pen+Blanks.

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
          • butchf18a@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
              as one of the fortunate few to get to play with this new stuff.....get some,
              it's well worth it. neat colors, and for the price you can't beat it. For all
              those that like to try something different, or try everything at least
              once....here is an opportunity for some really neat material. Of course Bills
              reputation for excellence and top quality service would have nothing to do
              with my recommendation, or the fact that we are both former Marines. Nawwww,
              :)

              Butch
            • Rich Kleinhenz
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
                Glad to see it became square! Is it still straight cut only?
                Regards,
                Rich
                =========================
                Richard Kleinhenz
                mailo:woodnpen@...
                =========================
              • ncturner2002
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
                  Bill,

                  those are interesting looking. I am curious to hear from people how
                  they like them.

                  I am also amazed at how you got some of that to look just like
                  amboyna burl. That should be easier (and cheaper?) to purchase than
                  the real thing, correct?

                  Greg

                • azsil@mindspring.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
                    Thanks Jim!

                    BB

                  • azsil@mindspring.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
                      Greg,

                      You might as well spend that $15 you have squirreled away because you can't
                      take it with you and if you could it would probably burn.

                      BB

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
                        Bill, $15? That much for that block of amboyna look alike? Ok, I'll
                        take it. :-)

                        Greg

                        p.s. go read your private email too!

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
                          Hi Rich,

                          Yes, it's still straight cut. In order for me to cut blanks that look like
                          Dymondwood I would have to buy the material in thicker slabs and angle cut
                          across the end grain. I am looking in to it, however. Right now I'm still
                          trying to keep the straight cuts straight!

                          BB
                        • Tim Boddy
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
                            Greg,
                            I used some of it and really like it. It gets hot
                            when you drill it, but that is about the only
                            non-positive thing I would say. Just be careful when
                            you grab it after drilling it.
                            It turned fairly easily, sanded fine and took a
                            great shine. I either used Hut's Crystal coat or
                            Ultra for the finish. I can't remember now. Bill
                            might still have the email I sent that should say what
                            I used.
                            It's hard enough that it won't dent or chip
                            easily, but at the same time it's light enough to use
                            all the time.

                            Tim
                            --- ncturner2002 <ruling@...> wrote:
                            > Bill,
                            >
                            > those are interesting looking. I am curious to hear
                            > from people how
                            > they like them.
                            >
                            > I am also amazed at how you got some of that to look
                            > just like
                            > amboyna burl. That should be easier (and cheaper?)
                            > to purchase than
                            > the real thing, correct?
                            >
                            > Greg
                            >
                            > --- In penturners@y..., "Bill Baumbeck" <azsil@m...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Hi Folks,
                            > >
                            > > This is an commercial ad so please delete if you
                            > wish to do
                            > so............
                            > >
                            > > A month or so ago there was some email passed
                            > within our Group
                            > about a different type of wood product I planned on
                            > offering. I
                            > received a limited number of samples from the
                            > manufacturer and I
                            > passed them out to some of the members of this Group
                            > (from 'newbie
                            > to expert) in order to get their reaction and
                            > comments. I read
                            > their comments and viewed the pictures that were
                            > sent and today I am
                            > announcing that a 'new' material will be made
                            > available to you that
                            > I believe that you will like.

                            http://sbc.yahoo.com
                          • ncturner2002
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
                              Tim,

                              Thanks for the info, sounds like a great product. Of course if
                              Bill's pushing it, I wouldn't expect less!

                              Greg

                              --- In penturners@y..., Tim Boddy <tj_boddy@y...> wrote:
                              > Greg,
                              > I used some of it and really like it. It gets hot
                              > when you drill it, but that is about the only
                              > non-positive thing I would say. Just be careful when
                              > you grab it after drilling it.
                              > It turned fairly easily, sanded fine and took a
                              > great shine. I either used Hut's Crystal coat or
                              > Ultra for the finish. I can't remember now. Bill
                              > might still have the email I sent that should say what
                              > I used.
                              > It's hard enough that it won't dent or chip
                              > easily, but at the same time it's light enough to use
                              > all the time.
                              >
                              > Tim
                            • Bill Baumbeck
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
                                Steve,

                                Wait until you see his new inlay work. That will really drive you nuts!

                                BB

                                > Bill, Jay Pickens is an absolute fiend. No mere mortal can come up with
                                > such obscenely innovative and gorgeous designs. His designs give me a
                                > tremendous inspiration and a lot to think about.
                                >
                                > Steve
                              • Borg B. Borg
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
                                  First Willee with his inlay machine, now Jay too? Now we will really be
                                  left in the dust! But I'm anxious to see what other excellent work Jay
                                  can come up with.

                                  Steve