RE: [penturners] help with CA finish

  • Jim Lambert
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
      Greg,

      I don't know if it would help, but maybe it would help to wipe down the
      blanks with acetone before you apply the ca glue.

      Jim Lambert
      Woodpens.com
      http://www.woodpens.com
    • ncturner2002
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
        Jim,

        I have been using alcohol, would acetone be better? I've had good
        luck with the alcohol in the past, but maybe there is a difference?
        Also, it is doing it even on top of a previous coating of CA (with
        or without sanding.)

        By the way, I had sent you a private email last week, regarding
        woodpens.com....did you get it?

        Thanks again,

        Greg

        --- In penturners@y..., "Jim Lambert" <jim0612@g...> wrote:
        > Greg,
        >
        > I don't know if it would help, but maybe it would help to wipe
        down the
        > blanks with acetone before you apply the ca glue.
        >
        > Jim Lambert
        > Woodpens.com
        > http://www.woodpens.com
      • William Lee
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
          Greg, I have not seen it happen in Houston but here in Corpus Christi, Texas I have had reactions that did just what you describe. I am sure that it is a reaction with something in or on the piece you are trying to coat with CA. I am no scientist but I think it has to do with surface tension and stuff like that. If you can get a thin coat of lacquer to stick on it as a sealer then you should be OK to proceed with other finishes.

          William Lee
          William,
          have you seen this happen in Houston?

          Thanks again!

          Greg

        • Rich Kleinhenz
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
            There may be an advantage to acetone, it being a solvent for CA. Might promote bonding.

            Yes CA is moisture activated. Still doesn't make sense, though, because your first coat seems to have gone on OK, if I read you right. I think it's time for you to build a new shop in a temperature and humidity controled environment :-)

            Regards,
            Rich
            =========================
            Richard Kleinhenz
            mailo:woodnpen@...
            =========================
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
              Greg,

              The first thing I thought of when you were describing your problem
              was that the CA had been contaminated in some way. But later you
              explained that you had tried various bottles of CA with similar
              results. Considering you had treated the pen blanks in a consistent
              manner, I think that would leave enviornmental reasons for the
              failure, probably a combination of heat and moisture (humidity). Try
              the CA someplace where you have AC, which would also help reduce the
              humidiity. And PLEASE let us know if you find an answer to this!
              Good Luck!

              Scott.
            • ncturner2002
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
                I had no idea the answer would be as simple as an environmentally
                controlled, new workshop! Thanks Rich! haha

                I think I will do as Scott suggested, and apply some inside the
                house and see if that works. I have been just globbing it on until
                it's thick enough to make a good coat, then cutting it back down
                with my gouge. Extremely non productive, but it is a solution, for
                now.

                I hope the kids don't mind acting like a lathe, and holding /
                turning the blank until it's dry. Not sure how I can get a steady
                rotation to apply it though. Might hook the dog up to a treadmill.

                Have a good one!

                Greg

                --- In penturners@y..., "Rich Kleinhenz" <woodnpen@o...> wrote:
                > Yes CA is moisture activated. Still doesn't make sense, though,
                because your first coat seems to have gone on OK, if I read you
                right. I think it's time for you to build a new shop in a
                temperature and humidity controled environment :-)

                > Regards,
                > Rich
                > =========================
                > Richard Kleinhenz
                > mailo:woodnpen@o...
                > =========================

              • Jim Lambert
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
                  Greg,

                  It just seems that something is having a repelling effect on the ca. I'd
                  try anything the clean the surface off. I typically just use denatured
                  alcohol.

                  I apparently didn't get your email. Please send it again.

                  Thanks,

                  Jim Lambert
                  Woodpens.com
                  http://www.woodpens.com

                  I have been using alcohol, would acetone be better? I've had good
                  luck with the alcohol in the past, but maybe there is a difference?
                  Also, it is doing it even on top of a previous coating of CA (with
                  or without sanding.)

                  By the way, I had sent you a private email last week, regarding
                  woodpens.com....did you get it?

                  Thanks again,

                  Greg

                  --- In penturners@y..., "Jim Lambert" <jim0612@g...> wrote:
                  > Greg,
                  >
                  > I don't know if it would help, but maybe it would help to wipe
                  down the
                  > blanks with acetone before you apply the ca glue.
                  >
                  > Jim Lambert
                  > Woodpens.com
                  > http://www.woodpens.com

                  Please pass on to others you think might like to join!

                  To Unsubscribe, send a blank messate to:

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • jrcropt2002
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
                    --- In penturners@y..., "Jim Lambert" <jim0612@g...> wrote:
                    > Greg,
                    >
                    > It just seems that something is having a repelling effect on the
                    ca. I'd
                    > try anything the clean the surface off. I typically just use
                    denatured
                    > alcohol.

                    Greg, Jim and all others,

                    Can you please tell me when to use denatured alchohol vs. acetone?

                    I thought CA was pressure cured (lack of oxygen -per Pat- and found
                    to be true, I leave my bottles open now) and Poly required moisture
                    to cure.(also found this to be true).

                    I have made some very nice CA finishes on one day just to find out it
                    didn't work the next (probably not the same wood, conditions also). I
                    have always found BB's and other's advice very reliable.

                    Is there anyone out there that can finish with CA consistantly? If
                    so, is it a controlled environment or technique?

                    JR
                  • ncturner2002
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
                      JR,

                      I don't know the difference, as I have always, until this evening,
                      used alcohol. Let me rephrase that, since I don't drink (haha), I
                      have always used denatured alcohol to clean my pens before CA. I
                      did, however, try some acetone, and had good results after, but I
                      also had changed some other variables, so I'm still "experimenting".
                      However, things look promising, and it's not the acetone I don't
                      think. I understand extended exposure to acetone can be a bad thing,
                      and thus I try to use alcohol for cleaning.

                      As far as the CA, honestly, until this last little bout, I've had
                      excellent results without too much trouble at all. I think the
                      environment (heat, humidity) was causing problems. I'll give more
                      info later on what I'm trying, but may be a way around that, and much
                      cheaper than a new shop, though a new shop WOULD be nice!

                      By the way JR, welcome back! Have a good evening,

                      Greg

                      --- In penturners@y..., "jrcropt2002" <websmith@g...> wrote:

                      > Greg, Jim and all others,
                      >
                      > Can you please tell me when to use denatured alchohol vs. acetone?
                      >
                      > I thought CA was pressure cured (lack of oxygen -per Pat- and found
                      > to be true, I leave my bottles open now) and Poly required moisture
                      > to cure.(also found this to be true).
                      >
                      > I have made some very nice CA finishes on one day just to find out
                      it
                      > didn't work the next (probably not the same wood, conditions also).
                      > have always found BB's and other's advice very reliable.
                      >
                      > Is there anyone out there that can finish with CA consistantly? If
                      > so, is it a controlled environment or technique?
                      >
                      > JR
                    • jrcropt2002
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
                        --- In penturners@y..., "ncturner2002" <ruling@a...> wrote:
                        > JR,
                        >
                        > I don't know the difference, as I have always, until this evening,
                        > used alcohol. Let me rephrase that, since I don't drink (haha), I
                        > have always used denatured alcohol to clean my pens before CA. I
                        > did, however, try some acetone, and had good results after, but I
                        > also had changed some other variables, so I'm
                        still "experimenting".
                        > However, things look promising, and it's not the acetone I don't
                        > think. I understand extended exposure to acetone can be a bad
                        thing,
                        > and thus I try to use alcohol for cleaning.
                        >
                        > As far as the CA, honestly, until this last little bout, I've had
                        > excellent results without too much trouble at all. I think the
                        > environment (heat, humidity) was causing problems. I'll give more
                        > info later on what I'm trying, but may be a way around that, and
                        much cheaper than a new shop, though a new shop WOULD be nice!

                        > By the way JR, welcome back! Have a good evening,
                        >
                        > Hi Greg,

                        Thanks,

                        I have no experience with acetone but some with denatured alcohol. I
                        used it to thin down epoxy to seal the fuel compartment of my RC
                        airplanes. Isn't acetone a thinner or cleaner, used to disolve paint,
                        etc? Does it work well on raw wood?

                        I don't mean to question you or any others, just trying to understand
                        the physics of it all...LOL (Didn't know penturning was soo
                        complicated...LOL).

                        J.R.