Re: [penturners] black oak Havana

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2002
      Holy moly, that's beautiful!

      Jim Lane

      From: "Richard Kleinhenz" <scubaman@...>
      Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:26:43 -0400
      To: penturners@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [penturners] black oak Havana

      I made it! Lumberlady sent me a block that had too many bark inclusions to
      be useful for its intended purpose as a knife handle blank, and I managed to
      get a blank (and even a backup that I didn't need) out of it. Took lots of
      babying, but I think it was worth it.
      http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rkleinhenz/vwp?.dir=/pens&.dnm=Black+Oak+Burl+Hav
      ana.jpg. There's a lot of really fine swirl in this pen that the picture
      can't capture.

      --
      Regards,
      Rich

      ==============================
      Richard Kleinhenz
      mailto:scubaman@...
      http://www.woodpens.com/rkleinhenz.htm
      ICQ# 11530594

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • nein9moe
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2002
        Rich;
        I never cared much for oak but wht you have done with this burl has
        just about change my mind. Great work on some beautiful wood.
        Keep turnin'
        "MOE"

        --- In penturners@y..., "Richard Kleinhenz" <scubaman@a...> wrote:
        > I made it! Lumberlady sent me a block that had too many bark
        inclusions to be useful for its intended purpose as a knife handle
        blank, and I managed to get a blank (and even a backup that I didn't
        need) out of it. Took lots of babying, but I think it was worth it.
        http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rkleinhenz/vwp?.dir=/pens&.dnm=Black+Oak+Bu
        rl+Havana.jpg. There's a lot of really fine swirl in this pen that
        the picture can't capture.

        > --
        > Regards,
        > Rich
      • Jim Lambert
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2002
          It looks great, Rich! You'd never guess the top and bottom didn't come
          off the same piece. I'm looking forward to those kits arriving!

          Jim Lambert
          Woodpens.com
          1613 Enon Rd
          Webb, Alabama 36376-5832
          http://www.woodpens.com

          I made it! Lumberlady sent me a block that had too many bark inclusions
          to be useful for its intended purpose as a knife handle blank, and I
          managed to get a blank (and even a backup that I didn't need) out of it.
          Took lots of babying, but I think it was worth it.
          http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rkleinhenz/vwp?.dir=/pens&.dnm=Black+Oak+Burl
          +Havana.jpg. There's a lot of really fine swirl in this pen that the
          picture can't capture.

          --
          Regards,
          Rich

          ==============================
          Richard Kleinhenz
          mailto:scubaman@...
          http://www.woodpens.com/rkleinhenz.htm
          ICQ# 11530594

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Rich Kleinhenz
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2002
            It's not just 'oak', Moe... black oak burl, the king of oak blanks ;-)
            I have some more stabilized oak burl (not black oak though) glued up, it
            also looks like phantastic stuff. Those are BB blanks. Just plain oak
            has its own charm, but you really have to do something with the grain,
            turn it to your advantage somehow. Remember the black dyed oak a while
            back?

            BTW Bill occasionally has black oak burl also, but not often.

            --
            Regards,
            Rich

          • ruling@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2002
              I agree with Rich, but I'll also say, you never know about the public. I had
              one older gentleman, and he had his choice of pens, from exotics to burls to
              domestics, basically all the same price, he narrowed it down to red oak
              (plain), walnut (also plain), and maple (again, plain.) He finally chose the
              oak.

              Greg

              scubaman@... writes:

              > Just plain oak
              > has its own charm, but you really have to do something with the grain,
              > turn it to your advantage somehow.

            • Mark Hamlin
              Message 6 of 14 , May 1, 2002
                Is black oak the same as "blackjack oak" or "post oak".
                There is a lot of that around Oklahoma, and after seeing
                your pen I might invest in a chainsaw.

                Mark

                >From: "Rich Kleinhenz" <scubaman@...>
                >
                >It's not just 'oak', Moe... black oak burl, the king of oak blanks ;-)
                >I have some more stabilized oak burl (not black oak though) glued up,

              • Patricia Lawson
                Message 7 of 14 , May 1, 2002
                  Rich,
                  The Black Oak Burl is absolutely gorgeous! I'm really glad you were able to get another piece and finish it, it was certainly worth the effort! A pound of sawdust and a pint of CA huh? Well, your hard work and patience really paid off, cuz that's one beautiful pen!

                  Pat L.

                  Pens By Patricia
                  Laguna Beach, CA
                  http://welcome.to/pens

                • Richard Kleinhenz
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 2002
                    Got me... ask BB. He says it's rare, and he can't get it regularly.

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 1, 2002
                      Mark
                      When I was raised up at Woodward we use to try to get blackjack oak
                      for firewood, It was a hadr wood to cut but it sure gave a hot fire.
                      "MOE"

                      --- In penturners@y..., "Mark Hamlin" <drhamlin@h...> wrote:
                      > Is black oak the same as "blackjack oak" or "post oak".
                      > There is a lot of that around Oklahoma, and after seeing
                      > your pen I might invest in a chainsaw.
                      >
                      > Mark
                      >
                      > >From: "Rich Kleinhenz" <scubaman@a...>
                      > >
                      > >It's not just 'oak', Moe... black oak burl, the king of oak
                      blanks ;-)
                      > >I have some more stabilized oak burl (not black oak though) glued
                      up,

                    • Ken Kaufman
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 1, 2002
                        Wow Rich, That is one awesome pen. Well worth the
                        time and effort. Love the figure in the wood.

                        Ken in OKC

                        http://health.yahoo.com