RE: Bowling Ball Material

  • its_virgil
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 24, 2013

      Nothing special about bowling ball material. It is an acrylic and acrylic blanks are abundant in all sort of colors and patterns. Those who made them are no longer doing so. Look at the offerings at places like http://www.arizonasilhouette.com , http://www.exoticblanks.com , http://www.penstateind.com , http://www.beartoothwoods.com , http://www.woodturningz.com , etc. I am sure you will find an acrylic blank that catches your eye.

      Cutting a bowling ball is dangerous and not worth the time and effort. The acrylic material is only about 1/2 inch thick and will be curved. The pieces you get have to be heated and flattened then glued together to get material thick enough to make a pen. What a pain! I did one several years ago and will not do another.

      Do a good turn daily!

      Don

      ---In penturners@yahoogroups.com, <gprevost@...> wrote:

      Well a big band saw will work, that is what I used.   But a hand saw will work but much slower.  Or if you are brave, use a chain saw.

      Gregg

      From: "Clapper, Randel @ FRE" <clapper.r@...>
      Date: 09/24/2013 12:49 PM (GMT-05:00)
      To: penturners@yahoogroups.com

      The actual bowling ball does not work, it is waay to thin.

      Randy Clapper
      Happy to Turn Corners

      In GOD I Trust
      I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, then to live my life as if there is no God and die to find out there is.

      Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

      From: William Heuser <hardware1952@...>
      Date: 09/24/2013 10:44 AM (GMT-05:00)
      To: penturners@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [penturners] Bowling Ball Material

      Several years back I bought rods of Bowling Ball material, I think from Penn State.  I just used the last of the red and black colors on their Over Under pens.  They really do look like shotgun shells.

      Now I have somebody that wants more, but I'm out of material.  Anybody have a source for Bowling Ball material or suggestions for an alternate material?

      Thanks,

    • Greg Prevost
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 24, 2013
        Actually, not all balls are the same thickness, the older ones have a thicker shell.  As to why do it, the special part of it is that it came from a bowling ball!  It always freaks people out when I show them a pen made from a bowling ball.

        Greg

        How on earth do you cut a round bowling ball up? That's what I want to know about.

        Ina
        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        Ask at bowling alleys if they have bad balls you can have.   The hardest part is cutting them up!

        Greg

        Several years back I bought rods of Bowling Ball material, I think from Penn State.  I just used the last of the red and black colors on their Over Under pens.  They really do look like shotgun shells.

        Now I have somebody that wants more, but I'm out of material.  Anybody have a source for Bowling Ball material or suggestions for an alternate material?

        Thanks,

      • healeydays
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 14, 2013

           I have a couple old balls sitting in the garage waiting till I find someone with a big enough saw I can use to cut them up.  An earlier poster mentioned that they make for an interesting selling point and I agree.  Once I mention a unique type material to someone, it definitely gets their attention...

          Mike B

          IAP: Healeydays