Re: [penturners] Re: Prickly Pear Cactus skeleton source

  • Dennis Ewing, Sr
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 22, 2013
      I do have what was a full 55 gallon drum of pear that we dug up at the place in the hill country that has sat until it is about a third full.  I at some point will see if there is any there to play with, otherwise I'm burning it. I have grown to hate the pear. If you hit it with a mower it makes even  more. Miserable stuff. Plus you get to spend hours pulling it out of the dog's feet when they forget and go chasing deer, armadillo or any other critter they happen to see and chase. Did I mention I have grown to hate pear?
      Dennis W. Ewing Sr.
      http://onewoodturn.com

      On 7/22/2013 10:35 AM, Sloane, Robert Raymond wrote:

      Having looked at the pictures of your blanks on your web page, I would say that $20 was a bargain.  If what I wanted was a cactus pen, I would definitely be a customer, but for me, the reward is the process of making the pen, not owning it or selling it.  The only reason I mentioned 10 blanks is because I expect to destroy the first 9 learning the technique.

      Maybe sometime I can organize a road trip to somewhere in the south west where Prickly Pear grows, and pick up some raw paddles, so I can have the full experience. J

      Yesterday, I cast my first “ribbon” blank, and I should be de-molding it tonight and later I am off to the pet store to see if they have any cholla I can use.

      Does anyone have any other suggestions for unique casting material?

      --

      Bob Sloane

      (785) 864-0444