Re: [penturners] Re: Mandrel stuck in headstock . . .

  • T Hill
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
      I had a brand new JET lathe, and put the MT2 into the headstock after
      assembly. It was so stuck I broke the plastic piece on the rod that came
      with the lathe to remove the MT, and ended up bringing it to a local
      repair shop to have it removed. Jet provided a brand new over night
      shipped head stock.
      Tom
    • Jon
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
        Hi Bob,
        I haven't run across a tool (other than a punch) for removing the mandrel.  May I suggest purchasing a long punch for this application?  I see that Craftsman has a set for $21.  I know that you can also go to some of the larger non-chain automotive stores that will have a large selection of punches.  Also specialty hardware stores will have them also.  I don't know about big box stores like Home Depot.  I would be that they are available there.
        http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6-pc-punch-set-extra-long/p-00943169000P
        Best Regards,
        Jon
        On 6/14/2013 10:20 AM, Bob H wrote:

        What is the best tool/method to remove a mandrel that is REALLY stuck in the headstock? I have been using a long phillips head screwdriver for some time now, but I've noticed that the tips has been disfigured pretty badly. It won't fit the screws anymore. Not a bid deal - it just seems that there should be a better way to get it out.

        Cheers,
        Bob Hendry

      • Bob H
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 21, 2013
          Many thanks to all. I appreciate your suggestions and advice. Yesterday I went to Lowe's and bought a couple of different sized dowels,one of which fit quite well. I cut it down, and it works perfectly. Problem solved!

          Next problem: Yesterday I was turning blanks for the Designer pens. I somehow managed to damage one of the transmissions. When I tried to remove it, I destroyed the '#&@+%^$*' tube (which came out of the blank . . .) I have found sources for spare tubes for the designer series pens, but I cannot locate a source for spare transmissions. I know I saw them once, but can't find it again. Can any of y'all help me locate a source? I'd again, be appreciative.

          I used the parts from another kit, because I didn't want to loose the blank - it was my first attempt at burled maple, which was very, very, very, very hard wood! Thought the carbide tipped drill bit was gonna melt!

          Thanks again for your help. Cheers,

          Bob Hendry

          --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Blakley <wwnovice631@...> wrote:

          > It is called a knock out rod.  Mine (a Jet) is a metal rod about 2 feet long with a round plastic ball on the end.  You "tap" the rod into the headstock at the mandrel to get it out.  I am sure you could find something at one of the hardware stores to supplement this item.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • ROBERT CABANAS
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 21, 2013
            Penn State Industries can supply you with transmissions or any part of a pen kit that you need.  Just call them & they'll give you a price.  If any of their products are defective they'll replace them also.

            Ina

            --- In mailto:penturners%40yahoogroups.com, Stephen Blakley <wwnovice631@...> wrote:

            > It is called a knock out rod.  Mine (a Jet) is a metal rod about 2 feet long with a round plastic ball on the end.  You "tap" the rod into the headstock at the mandrel to get it out.  I am sure you could find something at one of the hardware stores to supplement this item.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • James
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013
              I only have this problem when i use the mandrel with one blank on it, so i have more of the rod in side the spindle head. I do have a knock out rod but by do i have to give it a few hard clouts with a hammer .Using it with two blanks on it comes out easily????
            • Randy Smith
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013
                James; I believe you have an adjustable mandrel from the comment "more
                of the rod inside the spindle head". I don't think it would make a
                difference unless the rod is getting jammed into the thru hole in the
                head stock.

                Is your knock out bar larger than the mandrel rod?

                The taper and socket MUST be squeaky clean with no burrs, or gunk. I
                would start by cleaning the taper with paint thinner or acetone to clean
                off any glue on the taper, then clean out the socket the same way with a
                paper towel. Finally, put a few drops of any light machine oil (3-in-1)
                on a cloth and wipe down both the taper and the socket.

                Inspect the taper and socket under a strong light for any burrs. A
                change in the surface appearance may indicate an uneven surface or
                uneven wear. Any blemish(s) must be corrected or the taper will jam in
                the socket.

                Later.... Randy S
                Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

                On 6/23/2013 3:43 AM, James wrote:
                > I only have this problem when i use the mandrel with one blank on it,
                > so i have more of the rod in side the spindle head. I do have a knock
                > out rod but by do i have to give it a few hard clouts with a hammer
                > .Using it with two blanks on it comes out easily????
              • John Walsh
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013
                  You might also want to take a look at this video by woodturner Alan Stratton.  He uses a 20 Gauge Shotgun brass cleaning brush to clean out his morse tapers.  Simple, smart idea.

                • Shiva
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013
                    another thought would be polishing the inside of the lathe head and the
                    mandrel with metal polish and make certain afterwards you get all the
                    polish off.. Meguires metal polish is what I use on air brush needles
                    for this purpose. its VERY fine, so it wont abrade either part but does
                    slick things up.
                  • Patrick Driscoll
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013
                      James, When I turn just one blank, I put a extra tube on the mandrel so I don't have to adjust anything.
                      Patrick Driscoll
                      Saint Paul, MN
                      patrick36@...
                      www.pensbypat.com
                      If you can read this, Thank a teacher
                      If you are reading this in English, thank a veteran
                    • James
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013

                        Thank You Patrick, so simple I didn’t think of it .. J

                        Regards,

                        Jim

                        http://www.penturners.co.uk