Re: [penturners] Re: diamond back baron

  • Lamar
    Message 1 of 14 , May 9, 2013
      This reminds me of a question I have. I want to make some cigar pens and wrap cigar bands I have from Havana around the body. What is the best method to coat the pen to look good and protect the band?

      Sent from my iPhon

      On May 9, 2013, at 9:32 round thAM, "John" <pogue75@...> wrote:

      Pen looks great. I live in Oklahoma. Where was the event?

      --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Don Ward <don@...> wrote:

      > I recently attended a rattlesnake roundup in Oklahoma and purchased a
      > few skins. Here is a baron made from one of the skins. The blanks were
      > made by me also.
      > Thanks for looking. Enjoy and comments welcome.
      > Do a good turn daily!
      > Don

    • Its_virgil
      Message 2 of 14 , May 9, 2013
        Thanks! Where in Oklahoma do you live? I live in Wichita Falls. The snake roundup is in Waurika each spring mid april. Waurika is just over the river from Wichita Falls...a little NE.
        Do a good turn daily!
        Don

        Message 3 of 14 , May 9, 2013
          Hi Lamar,
          Cigar pens...I assume the cigar illusion...really doesn't matter. You can "glue" the labels on the pen and apply your finish over the label. Mod Podge can be used to stick the label to the pen. A little thinned white (elmer's) could also be used.CA can be used but be careful to not touch the label with a finger which has CA on it. After the label is glued to the pen build up several layers of CA. Penn State Industries has a video on making stamp pens this way. It would make an excellent watch for you...I think I've seen it on youtube also.
          do a good turn daily!
          Don

          --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Lamar <lamaratkinson@...> wrote:

          > This reminds me of a question I have. I want to make some cigar pens and wrap cigar bands I have from Havana around the body. What is the best method to coat the pen to look good and protect the band?
        • Lamar Atkinson
          Message 4 of 14 , May 9, 2013
            I found the video.  It looks great!  I will give this a try in a few days.

            Many thanks,

            Lamar

            Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

            Cigar pens...I assume the cigar illusion...really doesn't matter. You can "glue" the labels on the pen and apply your finish over the label. Mod Podge can be used to stick the label to the pen. A little thinned white (elmer's) could also be used.CA can be used but be careful to not touch the label with a finger which has CA on it. After the label is glued to the pen build up several layers of CA. Penn State Industries has a video on making stamp pens this way. It would make an excellent watch for you...I think I've seen it on youtube also.
            do a good turn daily!
            Don

            --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Lamar <lamaratkinson@...> wrote:

            > This reminds me of a question I have. I want to make some cigar pens and wrap cigar bands I have from Havana around the body. What is the best method to coat the pen to look good and protect the band?

          • John
            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2013
              20 minutes north of Tulsa in Owasso.

              --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Its_virgil" <don@...> wrote:

              > Thanks! Where in Oklahoma do you live? I live in Wichita Falls. The snake roundup is in Waurika each spring mid april. Waurika is just over the river from Wichita Falls...a little NE.
              > Do a good turn daily!
              > Don
              >

              > --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "John" <pogue75@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Pen looks great. I live in Oklahoma. Where was the event?

            • panamajack49
              Message 6 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                Keep making those great snake skin pen blanks Don! I'll be needing more soon. Any other types - species - available, beside the Prairie Rattle snake that is? What is a Rattle Snake Roundup like" is it sort of a swap meet or sales show? Do you run out and catch some live?
                Randy

                --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Don Ward <don@...> wrote:

                > I recently attended a rattlesnake roundup in Oklahoma and purchased a
                > few skins. Here is a baron made from one of the skins. The blanks were
                > made by me also.
                > Thanks for looking. Enjoy and comments welcome.
                > Do a good turn daily!
                > Don

              • Its_virgil
                Message 7 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                  Hi Randy,
                  I only have diamond back and prairie rattlesnake skins. A rattlesnake roundup a little bit of all you mentioned except I don't do any hunting. I go to the butcher room and hand pick the skins I want to purchase. The one I go to in Oklahoma has a midway, lots of "garage sale" booths, others selling all kinds of stuff and junk. It is the major fund raiser for the town's volunteer fire dept. They purchase the snakes from the hunters, butcher them, sell the meat (raw and cooked), sell the skins, sell the heads and have a snake thrill show. I have some pictures and if I can find them I will post a link to them.
                  Do a good turn daily!
                  Don

                  --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "panamajack49" <rlkimery@...> wrote:

                  > Keep making those great snake skin pen blanks Don! I'll be needing more soon. Any other types - species - available, beside the Prairie Rattle snake that is? What is a Rattle Snake Roundup like" is it sort of a swap meet or sales show? Do you run out and catch some live?
                  > Randy
                • Stephen Robinson
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                    Don, have you ever used one of the heads, mounted on a base, with the mouth open, as a pen holder?  That might be neat to see....

                    Steve in MO

                    I only have diamond back and prairie rattlesnake skins. A rattlesnake roundup a little bit of all you mentioned except I don't do any hunting. I go to the butcher room and hand pick the skins I want to purchase. The one I go to in Oklahoma has a midway, lots of "garage sale" booths, others selling all kinds of stuff and junk. It is the major fund raiser for the town's volunteer fire dept. They purchase the snakes from the hunters, butcher them, sell the meat (raw and cooked), sell the skins, sell the heads and have a snake thrill show. I have some pictures and if I can find them I will post a link to them.
                    Do a good turn daily!
                    Don

                    --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "panamajack49" <rlkimery@...> wrote:

                    > Keep making those great snake skin pen blanks Don! I'll be needing more soon. Any other types - species - available, beside the Prairie Rattle snake that is? What is a Rattle Snake Roundup like" is it sort of a swap meet or sales show? Do you run out and catch some live?
                    > Randy

                  • Its_virgil
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                      Steve,
                      I've wanted to try something like that but a special permit is required to get the heads since they still have the venom glands and fangs and are dangerous. I think a special taxidermy license/permit is required. They place the heads in a large container of some solution and sell them to someone who comes by at the end of the event.
                      Do a good turn daily!
                      Don