rattlesnake blanks

  • Don Ward
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2013
    Two sets of cigar blanks and two sets of jr vII blanks I made last
    weekl. I just thought some would enjoy seeing them.
    Do a good turn daily!
    Don
  • Ina Cabanas

      Message 3 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013
        Don:

            Very nice work do you purchase the skins or are you a rattlesnake hunter as well?

        RP

        Please remove any email address's before forwarding this email as they may be used in email scams or phishing.

        On 3/17/2013 10:54 AM, Don Ward wrote:
        <*>[Attachment(s) from Don Ward included below]

        Two sets of cigar blanks and two sets of jr vII blanks I made last
        weekl. I just thought some would enjoy seeing them.
        Do a good turn daily!
        Don

        <*>Attachment(s) from Don Ward:

          <*> 2013-03-15 02.50.45.jpg

      • Alice Heckman
        Message 4 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013
          I have questions about the rattlesnake blanks. Where do you get the skins? Have you ever used shed skins? Do you have to cure a fresh skin? We occasionally kill rattlesnakes in our yard and I have eyed the carcasses! Where did you get the mold for pouring the blanks?
          Thanks for any information you can give me.
          Alice in central Nebraska
        • Its_virgil
          Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013
            Thanks RP. No, I don't hunt them. I purchased the skins I used in these blanks. They are prairie rattlesnake skins from S Dakota. I do purchase raw skins yearly at a local snake hunt/roundup and cure them my self, but I don't harvest the snakes. I buy the skins at the snake hunt butcher shop. No, I can't make my self eat the deep fried snake they sell there.
            Do a good turn daily!
            Don

            --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, RP <rpedersen01@...> wrote:

            > Don:
            >
            > Very nice work do you purchase the skins or are you a rattlesnake hunter as well?
            >
            > RP
          • Its_virgil
            Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013

              Alice,
              Here are the answers to your questions:

              1. Where do you get the skins? I purchased skins from a gentleman in S Dakota who sold prairie rattlesnake skins. He no longer sell them and I will need to find a new source for those one my current supply is exhausted. I also purchase fresh skins from a couple of local rattlesnake hunt/roundups and get enogh to last me until the next hunt. The skins I purchase locally are fresh and I have to cure them. I can send you the tanning insturctions if you would like to have them.

              2.Have you ever used shed skins?  Shed skins will not work. They are way to thin and fragile.

              3. Do you have to cure a fresh skin?  Yes. And I will share the tanning instursctions if you would like to have them.

              4. Where did you get the mold for pouring the blanks? I use molds sold by Fred Weissen. I use the ones he sells for "tube in" casting. Here is his website: http://www.luv2turn.com/siliconemold.html

              Be sure to contact me with any quetions you have. I will gladly tell you what I know.

              Do a good turn daily!

              Don