Re: [penturners] Re: Illusion info

  • McGill Dennis
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
      I haven't had any problems with PS bushings, but when I order by mail it takes almost a month to get the order. Won't be ordering from them any more.
      On Mar 9, 2013, at 7:08 AM, Dave wrote:

      I've not had any problems with bushings from PSI. If I don't have the right bushing size I just use the standard 7mm slimline bushings and measure the pen part ends with a digital caliper and turn to that measurement.

      Dave

      One good turn deserves another.

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
        So far, haven't had any problems with PSI supplies. My wife and I made about 22 pens with their kits and parts for the holidays. I know we will need to keep an eye on the bushings due to wear. I was going to get their Pen Mandrel Center but some of the reviews seemed to question whether they were well machined. I have ordered the one from Craft Supplies; more expensive but probably better made.

        I haven't had any problems with PS bushings, but when I order by mail it takes
        almost a month to get the order. Won't be ordering from them any more.

        On Mar 9, 2013, at 7:08 AM, Dave wrote: I've not had any problems with bushings from PSI. If I don't have the right bushing size I just use the standard 7mm slimline bushings and measure the pen part ends with a digital caliper and turn to that measurement. Dave One good turn deserves another. From: penturners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:penturners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of RP Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2013 7:12 AM To: penturners@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [penturners] Re: Illusion info Don: I am still trying to learn to make the normal kits without much luck. John at Penturners has been helping me out quite a bit but this last order from PSI really has me ticked off. I ordered a couple different kit assortments and they also sent the bushings with them, but the play from the mandrel to the bushing and the bushing to the tube when added up is somewhere between a 1/32" to 1/16". I don't know how they expect you to turn anything round with that lousy fit. Like I said John had a couple bushing sets to turn on center but I have a bunch that I guess I will have to try to just turn on centers without bushings and see what happens. PSI sold me my complete set up to get started in this hobby and now the crap they are selling me is about to make me quit. I am going to leave some feedback later today on their website but I don't imagine it will cause them to sell better bushing kits as like most companies nowadays they are just in it for the quick buck. I remember a time when no one would have sold this poor of an item to their customers. Randy Please remove any email address's before forwarding this email as they may be used in email scams or phishing. On 3/8/2013 10:37 PM, Its_virgil wrote: Thanks Randy. It is fun pen to make and use. I hope we see one from you soon! Do a good turn daily! Don --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, RP <rpedersen01@...> wrote: Don: Very nice pen idea and write up thank you. Randy ------------------------------------ Please pass on to others you think might like to join! To access the pentuners home page and use all the web features go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/ Our Reference Library is at http://tinyurl.com/5rsra The FAQ can be found at http://tinyurl.com/436kw The Tips and Tricks file can be found at http://tinyurl.com/h3obv The best archive search is at http://tinyurl.com/25kge Expanded photo/files area is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturnersphotos/Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: penturners-digest@yahoogroups.com penturners-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: penturners-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • on4mac
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
          Hello,

          Find someone with a metal lathe. Preferably a model engineer. At least someone with the knowledge/experience to use the lathe and to do some reasonably precise work with his of her machine. They are not that difficult to find. Explain what it is you want exactly and soon you won't be in need for a good set of bushings anymore. For little of no cost. Probably.
          Mike

          --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, McGill Dennis <dlmcgill55@...> wrote:

          > I haven't had any problems with PS bushings, but when I order by mail it takes almost a month to get the order. Won't be ordering from them any more.
          > On Mar 9, 2013, at 7:08 AM, Dave wrote:
          >

          > I've not had any problems with bushings from PSI. If I don't have the right bushing size I just use the standard 7mm slimline bushings and measure the pen part ends with a digital caliper and turn to that measurement.
          >

          > Dave
          >

          > One good turn deserves another.

        • Randy Smith
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
            To join the thread; Randy; It is possible to make bushings on your
            wood turning lathe from corian or scraps of pr. A collet chuck with a
            full set of collets will allow you to make good accuracy bushings. You
            will also need accurate calipers or micrometer.

            John Goodin makes high quality between-centers bushings. Did I mention
            high quality?
            http://www.penturnersproducts.com/

            Contact PSI and ask for replacement.

            Later.... Randy S
            Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

            On 3/9/2013 7:12 AM, RP wrote:

            > I ordered a couple different kit assortments and they also sent the
            > bushings with them, but the play from the mandrel to the bushing and the
            > bushing to the tube when added up is somewhere between a 1/32" to 1/16".
            > I don't know how they expect you to turn anything round with that lousy
            > fit.
          • Shiva
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
              On 3/9/2013 4:32 PM, Randy Smith wrote:
              > On 3/9/2013 7:12 AM, RP wrote:
              >
              >> > I ordered a couple different kit assortments and they also sent the
              >> >bushings with them, but the play from the mandrel to the bushing and the
              >> >bushing to the tube when added up is somewhere between a 1/32" to 1/16".
              >> >I don't know how they expect you to turn anything round with that lousy
              >> >fit.
              so they sent 8mm bushings maybe instead of 7.. ???
            • Rich Kleinhenz
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                There is something else wrong here.  There's just no way that there could be more than 1/32" play in the blank (brass tube to bushing plus bushing to mandrel).  No way.  You either got bushings mixed up, or an incorrect set.  If the parts are all the right ones then something slipped by quality control.  Of course quality inspections are on a sample, if they did 100% inspection you wouldn't buy from them (cost...).  Perhaps a bent mandrel is coming into play also.  Anyway, something is grossly out of whack!

                Have you called PSI?  I've questioned their engineering at times.  I do buy from them, and when I've had problems (which unfortunately I have) with some of their items they have always eventually fixed the issue, replaced the part or issued credit.

                Of course there *ARE* other suppliers out there.  With the variety of kits on the market today you are hardly stuck with PSI.  If you want another Pennsylvania supplier, check out arizonasilhouette.com.  Craft Supplies USA gets high marks for quality as well as customer service.  Berea Hardwoods is another direct importer/supplier.

                Good luck!

                --
                Best regards,
                Rich
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                  Exotic Blanks is now another good source of kits, bushings etc. Lots of good stuff.

                • rodkeen@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
                    I don't know if you are talking about out of round,wobble,or an actual difference in the size of the bushings.  However, I know that I was having difficulty with wobble and out of round, thinking it was the mandrel, bushings, or whatever, when a fellow turner pointed out that I needed to bring my tail piece out of the casing about an inch in order to seat the mandrel or bushing properly.  I felt stupid when he pointed it out, but it sure has made a difference.

                    Rod
                  • dholle@rocketmail.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
                      Having the tailpiece and/or the nut too tight will also give you problems with out of round. Just snugged up works best for me and I turn up the rpms a bit. Loosening the piece before turning it all the way down and rotating a quarter turn or so also helps. Still doesn't address the problem of loose bushings. Never actually had that. Just undersized ones.

                      --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, rodkeen@... wrote:

                      > I don't know if you are talking about out of round,wobble,or an actual difference in the size of the bushings.  However, I know that I was having difficulty with wobble and out of round, thinking it was the mandrel, bushings, or whatever, when a fellow turner pointed out that I needed to bring my tail piece out of the casing about an inch in order to seat the mandrel or bushing properly.  I felt stupid when he pointed it out, but it sure has made a difference.
                      > Rod

                    • RP
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
                        Randy:

                            Yes Johns work is the best.

                            I need to walk back my statement about the bushings a bit, although they don't fit with a high degree of precision they are not quite as bad as I first thought I measured them all again with a different set of calipers, that I could not find at first, and found out the first one was not reading correct.

                            So I will try to turn another pen and watch what happens, maybe I am expecting to much out of these after many years of building engines where a few thousandths of an inch make a difference.

                             I will look into the collet chuck you mentioned also. PSI is replacing a set that had one that would not even fit inside the tube and after I try another set I will see if I need to talk to them further.

                        Randy

                        P.S. Sorry for this thread getting hijacked I will start a new one if more needs to be posted.