Slimline Rollerball?

  • angelo4967
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2013
      I came across an ad stating for sale...
      "Custom Built Wooden Rollerball Slim Twist Pen"
      There are photos and they are in fact Slimline Twist pens.
      Also states ...."The Rollerall Twist Pen comes with black ink and uses Cross™ refills."
      I've searched and cannot find a Slim pen that uses a rollerball refill.
      Is there such a kit?
      Angelo

    • Steve Bigelow
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2013
        Some people call the Cross refills "rollerball" since there is a ball that rolls at the bottom of the pen. Pretty easy for people to get confused between a rollerball and a ballpoint pen since it is the ink that is different.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollerball_pen

        Ballpoint uses an oil based ink, and rollerball uses a water based.

        --
        Regards,
        -Steve

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2013
            Yes, the Slimline Pro is an 8mm pen click pen with a parker style refill and that ugly black pocket clip. And I don't know if you can swap it with a rollerball.
            There is no doubt that the pens featured are clearly Slimlines.
            I'm thinking that the ad is misleading.
            Angelo

            --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Steve Bigelow wrote:

            > Almost forgot: PSI makes or made a "Slim Line Pro" rollerball pen for a
            > while that took Parker gel refills. Don't know if they still do.
            >
            > Oh, and Cross does make a rollerball refill, although it doesn't fit the
            > ballpoint refill.
            >
            > -Steve
          • Its_virgil
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2013
              There are Cross type refills for slimline pens that use liquid ink instead of oil base standard ball point ink. Maybe the guy is replacing the refill with one of those. Just guessing.

              Here is one...there are others:
              The Monteverde Liquid Ink Refill for Cross Ballpoints requires less pressure on the point than conventional oil-based ballpoint ink. Rollerball type ink in a ballpoint body. Water based, low viscosity ink in a large capacity nickel silver tube with a nickel silver tip. Ten ink colors available.

              LIQUID INK REMINDER! - This refill is loaded with state of the art liquid ink. It is designed to wick onto paper. If it comes in contact in anyway with cloth it will drain itself by design.

              http://www.coloradopen.com/product/monteverde-liquid-ballpoint-refill-for-cross/ballpoint-refills

              Do a good turn daily!
              Don
            • Steve Bigelow

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2013
                  I didn't know about the Monteverde refill.
                  If I was using the Monteverde refill in a cheap slimline
                  I would at least use it as a sellimg point, no?
                  Angelo
                • angelo4967
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2013
                    Edit

                    The Rollerall Twist Pen comes with black ink and uses Cross™ refills.

                    > I didn't know about the Monteverde refill.
                    > If I was using the Monteverde refill in a cheap slimline
                    > I would at least use it as a sellimg point, no?
                    > Angelo
                  • Steve Bigelow
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2013
                      Agree.

                      Odds are whoever is selling the slim lines as rollerballs just doesn't have the intelligence to know the difference, and hasn't taken the time to look up the difference. At one point in the not too distant past, before I started making pens, I didn't know the difference, and I still didn't know until after I started making pens that took Parker style refills.

                      Since a slim line is a generally a beginner's pen (no offense, Don), I would guess they haven't been making pens long.

                      -Steve