Re: [penturners] Low-tech inscriptions

  • Randy Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
      Pat; Some penturners have used decals to good success. Print the decal
      using an ink jet printer. Then cover the decal with lacquer made for
      this purpose. Finish the pen with CA, apply the decal and let it dry
      THOROUGHLY, then top coat with a few more coats of CA to hide the edges
      of the decal.

      I have the decal paper, but have not started trying this yet.

      I suspect you will have to do a lot of decals at one time, as cutting
      the paper will make it too small to feed thru the printer.

      Later.... Randy S
      Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

      On 3/1/2012 12:19 AM, Pat wrote:
      > I recently taught penturning at a school in the Caribbean island
      > nation of St. Lucia. Now they are getting some sales, but some want
      > the pens inscribed. They don't have a laser inscriber on the island,
      > but are asking me about some sort of woodburning gizmo. Anybody have
      > ideas that might help them? They don't want the shipping expense or
      > time lag that shipping the pens to a U.S. business would involve. Pat
      > P. in Wausau, Wis.
    • Patrick Driscoll
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
        Pat, I am about to try using a label maker with a clear tape in it. I think it will print small enough to cut to size and stick to the pen barrel. I will then try to seal it with CA and polish as usual. I'll post pictures if it works.
        Patrick Driscoll
        Saint Paul, MN
        patrick36@...
        www.pensbypat.com
        If you can read this, Thank a teacher
        If you are reading this in English, thank a veteran
      • Frank Hasieber
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2012
          What you are looking for is a pyrography pen, commonly called a woodburning
          pen, with practice great results can be had. Google for Pyrography tools.
          Frank

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2012
            Pat,
            Kirk Deheer, who works for Craft Supplies, signs his pens and other turnings with a pyragraphy pen. He signs pens under the clip. I've seen several of his signed pens and they look really nice. I think he uses this tip:

            http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pyrography___PJL_Heavy_Duty_Micro_Writing_Tip_Pyrographic_Pen___pjl_micro?Args=

            I can find out for sure if you're interested of you could call Craft Supplies and speak with Kirk personally.

            Do a good turn daily!
            Don

            --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Hasieber" <fhasieber@...> wrote:

            > What you are looking for is a pyrography pen, commonly called a woodburning pen, with practice great results can be had.
          • Pat
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2012
              Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll look into pyrography possibility, but some of their customers, I think, are wanting a logo inscribed. I will contact the school to find out precisely what they're after.

              Pat P. in Wausau, Wis.
            • Charles Norrman
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2012
                Pat, You could also use a printer/copy machine that uses powder as a copy medium but not an inkjet printer/copier. Draw out your logo, copy it on your paper then lay it on top of the item you want it on and use a hot iron to transfer it onto the item. Hoped I explained it good enough for you to understand what I am saying, any questions e-mail me off line. Chuck

              • jboconnell@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 6, 2012
                  One important step with the copier technique is to print the logo in reverse. JB

                  --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, Charles Norrman <cnorrm@...> wrote:

                  > Pat, You could also use a printer/copy machine that uses powder as a copy medium but not an inkjet printer/copier. Draw out your logo, copy it on your paper then lay it on top of the item you want it on and use a hot iron to transfer it onto the item. Hoped I explained it good enough for you to understand what I am saying, any questions e-mail me off line. Chuck

                • Al
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 12, 2012
                    1a. Re: Low-tech inscriptions
                        Posted by: "Charles Norrman" cnorrm@... cnorrm
                        Date: Mon Mar 5, 2012 1:23 pm ((PST))

                    Pat, You could also use a printer/copy machine that uses powder as a copy medium but not an inkjet printer/copier. Draw out your logo, copy it on your paper then lay it on top of the item you want it on and use a hot iron to transfer it onto the item. Hoped I explained it good enough for you to understand what I am saying, any questions e-mail me off line. Chuck

                    I've used a sheet (cut to 8.5"X11") of parchment paper in my laser printer and then ironed on the image.  Parchment paper is sold in the super market near the wax paper and has the ability to withstand higher heat.  After I cut the sheet to fit my printer I reverse my logo/inscription in my printing program and print.  I cat then cut out the logo and iron it on.  Regular paper will work but not as well as parchment.

                    Al