RE: [penturners] Re: My New Website

  • Clapper, Randel @ FRE
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2010

                              Thanks for attaching the site Nick.

                              Looks great to me.. maybe we will have to chat about all the details of doing one.

      Randy Clapper
      Happy to Turn Corners

      In GOD I Trust
      I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, then to live my life as if there is no God and die to find out there is.

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
        Ya i would love to give you any tips i can Randel! and to everyone else thank you for your advice!!!

        One question though, were you guys referring to the background of the pen pictures bleeding the pens out or the background of the actual site itself.

        --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Clapper, Randel @ FRE" <clapper.r@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for attaching the site Nick.
        > Looks great to me.. maybe we will have to chat about all the details of doing one.
        >

        > Randy Clapper
        > Happy to Turn Corners
        >
        > In GOD I Trust
        > I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, then to live my life as if there is no God and die to find out there is.
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Paul Jr.C
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12, 2010
          > The other thing I would do is get a face book page up and a twitter link both of these will help you sell your pens!

          Mary,

          Do you offer this advice because search engines will see these accounts which would then add to the site's ranking or because you actually contact customers via Facebook and Twitter? Or both? I have thought about starting a Facebook page for my pen business, but I absolutely DETEST the hype surrounding both Facebook and Twitter. However, do you find Facebook and Twitter provide a significant resource for selling pens? I realize evey little bit helps, but serious I practically have a stroke every time I even consider opening a Facebook account. Seriously it feels like something is going to explode in my brain. ;)

          Paul
        • rootabagas
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 13, 2010
            Paul,
            I'm a big Facebook fan! I think it has great potential for business promotion. It sounds like you are very reluctant, but, like it or not, social networking is here and growing! You can embrace it or get left behind! Facebook would allow you to have a page that can introduce people to you, the penturner, as well as your work. You can have pics of your pens, but you could also have photos of you working in your shop. You can have a link on your Facebook page that will direct people to your professional website for making purchases. It also allows people to easily ask questions and make comments, and allows you to become a "real person", rather than just a website. And don't forget to put a link to your Facebook page on your website! Check out Facebook and search for "pen turning" or "wood turning" and see what others have done. Check out other types of groups, too! Some groups do free giveaway contests, too! You could give away a pen or a coupon, or have holiday specials for your Facebook Fans!
            Twitter is a whole different animal. I personally don't see how it would benefit you to promote your website. It was designed to allow you to periodically "tweet" what you're doing throughout the day, such as "I'm watching the Olympics" or "My washing machine just died." You can only type 160 characters per post, and uploading pictures can only be done one-at-a-time and from a remote website. So, I wouldn't waste my time with Twitter. To showcase 10 of your pens, you would have to have 10 different Tweets, with 10 different pics all uploaded from a different website. Potential cutomers would have to read all ten Tweets, and then follow the links to each individual picture of each pen. It's time consuming, and I personally would never "shop" that way.
            With Facebook, you could have a photo album that is easily navigated by your fans/clients.
            I do not sell my pens yet (I'm fairly new to wood turning!) but just putting a few pics on my Facebook page has generated interest from my friends who are now requesting me to make/sell pens for them! I have friends who have no idea what a lathe is, and can't imagine how I turn a piece of wood into a pen! I'm planning to do a photo album on my Facebook page that shows me working in my shop, and shows each step of the pen making process. So, who knows where I can go with that!
            Let me know if/when you get a Facebook page...I'd love to be a fan!
            Hope this helps!
            Angela

            --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Jr.C" <paulchadjr@...> wrote:

            > > The other thing I would do is get a face book page up and a twitter link both of these will help you sell your pens!
            >
            > Mary,
            >
            > Do you offer this advice because search engines will see these accounts which would then add to the site's ranking or because you actually contact customers via Facebook and Twitter? Or both? I have thought about starting a Facebook page for my pen business, but I absolutely DETEST the hype surrounding both Facebook and Twitter. However, do you find Facebook and Twitter provide a significant resource for selling pens? I realize evey little bit helps, but serious I practically have a stroke every time I even consider opening a Facebook account. Seriously it feels like something is going to explode in my brain. ;)
            >
            > Paul

          • Mary M
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 13, 2010
              I do reccomend them both, what Facebook & Twitter and any other social site will do is help promote your pens & turnings. If you want to sell your pens online then you do need to use different marketing strategies and both Facebook & Twitter are 2 of the biggest ones to use. For the time being Twitter is free, and facebook can be used either free or paid advertising.
              Mary Maguire

              --- In penturners@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Jr.C" <paulchadjr@...> wrote:

              > > The other thing I would do is get a face book page up and a twitter link both of these will help you sell your pens!
              >
              > Mary,
              >
              > Do you offer this advice because search engines will see these accounts which would then add to the site's ranking or because you actually contact customers via Facebook and Twitter? Or both? I have thought about starting a Facebook page for my pen business, but I absolutely DETEST the hype surrounding both Facebook and Twitter. However, do you find Facebook and Twitter provide a significant resource for selling pens? I realize evey little bit helps, but serious I practically have a stroke every time I even consider opening a Facebook account. Seriously it feels like something is going to explode in my brain. ;)
              >
              > Paul

            • Paul Jr.C
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 14, 2010
                Angela,

                Thanks for the advice. When MySpace and Facebook started to become popular I concidered starting a page in order to promote my business. However, I saw these sites more for superficial chatter rather than a serious way to contact people. The truth of the matter is Facebook is a congregation of people, and if you want to reach people go where they go...

                I'll have to reconsider my opinion of the site.

                Paul