      From: Ina Cabanas <ribcab@...>
      To: penturners@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, January 6, 2014 8:19 PM
      Subject: Re: [penturners] CA glue finish

      I purchased the Barry Gross Acrylic Buffing System about a year ago. I ALWAYS use it when I make acrylic pens. I don't use polish of any kind when I use the buffing system. It saves me polish & time & does a GREAT job.

      I wonder if people use CA glue with a cotton rag instead of paper towels?

      Ina

      On Jan 6, 2014, at 11:08 AM, "Turnings" <turningsbybob@...> wrote:

      The normal way I apply the CA is a couple of drops on the SLOWLY spinning blank and smooth with a Bounty (best for all wood turning apps – Select a size and best ply).  Then after two coats – light spray with the accelerator.  Captain Eddie Castelin puts the drops of CA onto the multi-folded paper piece of paper towel – and applies from the towel – same for the accelerator.  Both seem to work – but I do think I get a faster and thicker build up with the direct application.  In either case – be very careful that 1) the CA is not spun into the air and eyes (duh) and also that the paper piece is thick enough and put down quickly because the CA will seep through and burn your finger – Don’t know why I know this!!!???

      Going to try the 3 piece “Dr. Kirks Micro Magic Polishing Wax Kit” from Craft Supply – have ordered – not received as yet. Some members in my club, with better eyesight,  found some micro scratches on a re3cent red acrylic pen.  I have, but didn’t use, the Barry Gross Acrylic Pen Buffing System on the pen in question.  Will try both systems and report.

      Happy New Year and Happy Turning!

      Bob