      Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2013 11:20 PM
      Subject: Re: [penturners] CA glue finish

      What is your sanding process now?  Are the marks radial (around the pen) or linear (with the grain)?

      In my case, I sand the blank through 400 before applying any CA.  I cross sand (sand with the grain) between each grit.

      I clean the blank of all dust and remain grit with a paper towel soaked in alcohol.  Not too much, just enough to wet the blank and remove all the dust and grit.

      Here's the CA portion, step by step:
      1.  apply 4 coats of CA using a fresh paper towel.
      2. do a leveling sand.  Use 400 grit wet.  Cross sand and use a paper towel to remove the grit.
      3. Do a second leveling sand with 6oo grit wet.  Cross sand and use a paper towel to remove the grit and dry the blank.
      4. apply 6 or so more coats of CA.
      5. Sand with 400 wet, then cross sand, wipe to remove the grit and residue.
      6. Sand with 600 wet, then cross sand, wipe to remove the grit and residue.
      7. If you use micromesh, sand through the grits.
      If you use sand paper, use wet/dry and sand using 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit wet.
      8. use the polishing compound of your choice.  I've used car polishing compound and it works pretty well.

      I use the same sanding procedures on acrylic pens as well.  Mirror finish every time as long as I follow the procedure and keep it CLEAN!!!

      Secret is to use good sand paper that doesn't have a big grain here and there, cross sand, and clean after each sand paper grit.

      Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
      Brad