108518RE: [penturners] CA glue finish

  • D Perez
    Oct 6, 2013

      I usually put 5 coats of CA.

      There is no need to remove the BLO, it blends right in. You’re not using a lot.

      My process is:

      Sand thru to 12000 micro mesh

      blow off all the dust

      take ½ sheet of paper towel and fold in have 2-3 times…end up with a square about 2”. This is big enough to get at least 5 coats of CA.

      I buy the BLO at Home Depot. I get the quart can, it has a small plastic opening at the top. I put the folded paper over the  top of the hole, turn upside down  and give the can a squeeze.

      with the lathe spinning at 300 to 400 rpm, I put it under the tube and drizzle some med. CA over the top.

      keep the paper towel moving and apply slight pressure.

      The CA will dry and it should be a completely smooth finish. Two cautions, the paper towel can get hot from the chemical reaction, and fumes can be generated. When I’m doing many at one time, I will sometimes wear tight fitting leather gloves. Be sure there is nothing hanging lose that can catch in the lathe!

      Repeat 4 more times and it’s done.

      Look in the FAQ area. There are several processes. Find the one that works best for you.

      Give it a try. I’ve made several hundred pens using this finish and it is durable and has a very nice gloss.

      Dennis

      The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

      Dennis J Perez

      dennisp42@...

      Seffner, FL 33584

      From: Stan <wa2uet@...>
      Date: 10/06/2013 16:42 (GMT-05:00)
      To: penturners@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [penturners] CA glue finish

      No matter what I do I cannot get a smooth finish with CA glue. I have sanded I have tried different applicators but I always end up with some lines around the blank. Sometimes they don’t show much but sometimes they do. I try to sand them out in the final sanding stages but I just cannot seem to get them all out.

      The CA finish seems like a good hard finish, it has the ultimate shine but I need to make it smoother.

      How do you guys do it?

      Stan

    • Show all 67 messages in this topic