Importance

  • swartzy12
      - Most Important Lesson professor gave us a pop quiz. I was a
      conscientious
      student and had
      breezed through the questions, until I read the last one: "What is
      the first
      name of the woman who cleans the school?" Surely this was some kind
      of joke.
      I had seen the cleaning
      woman several times. She was tall, dark-haired and in her 50s, but
      how would
      I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question
      blank.
      Just before class ended, one student asked if the last question
      would count
      toward our quiz grade. "Absolutely," said the professor. "In your
      careers,
      you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your
      attention
      and care, even if all you do is smile and say 'hello'." I've never
      forgotten
      that lesson. I've also never forgotten her name was Dorothy. >2 -
      Second
      Important Lesson - Pickup in the Rain

      2. One night, at 11:30 PM, an older African American woman was
      standing on
      the side of an Alabama highway trying to endure a lashing rain
      storm. Her
      car had broken down and she desperately needed a ride. Soaking wet,
      she
      decided to flag down the next car. A young white man stopped to help
      her,
      generally unheard of in those conflict-filled 1960s. The man took
      her to
      safety, helped her get assistance and put her into a taxi cab. She
      seemed to
      be in a big hurry, but wrote down his address and thanked him.
      Seven days went by and a knock came on the man's door. To his
      surprise, a
      giant console color TV was delivered to his home A special note was
      attached
      It read: "Thank you so much for assisting me on the highway the
      other night
      The rain drenched not only my clothes, but also my spirits. Then you
      came
      along. Because of you, I was able to make it to my dying husband's
      bedside
      just before he passed away. God bless you for helping me and
      unselfishly
      serving others." Sincerely, Mrs. Nat King Cole.

      3 - Third Important Lesson - Always remember those who serve.

      In the days when an ice cream sundae cost much less, a 10-year-old
      boy
      entered a hotel coffee shop and sat at a table. A waitress put a
      glass of
      water in front of him. "How much is an ice cream sundae?" he
      asked. "Fifty
      cents," replied the waitress. The little boy pulled his hand out of
      his
      pocket and studied the coins in it. "Well, how much is a plain dish
      of ice
      cream?" he inquired. By now more people were waiting for a table and
      the
      waitress was growing impatient. "Thirty-five cents," she brusquely
      replied."
      The little boy again counted his coins. "I'll have the plain ice
      cream," he
      said. The waitress brought the ice cream, put the bill on the table
      and
      walked away. The boy finished the ice cream, paid the cashier and
      left. When
      the waitress came back, she began to cry as she wiped down the
      table. There,
      placed neatly beside the empty dish, were two nickels and five
      pennies - You
      see, he couldn't have the sundae, because he had to have enough left
      leave her a tip.

      4 - Fourth Important Lesson - The Obstacle in Our Path
      In ancient times, a King had a boulder placed on a roadway. Then he
      hid
      himself and watched to see if anyone would remove the huge rock.
      Some of the
      king's wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by and simply walked
      around
      it. Many loudly blamed the king for not keeping the roads clear, but
      none
      did anything about getting the stone out of the way. Then a peasant
      came
      along carrying a load of vegetables. Upon approaching the boulder,
      the
      peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side
      of the
      road. After much pushing and straining, he finally succeeded After
      the
      peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed a purse lying
      in the
      road where the boulder had been. The purse contained many gold coins
      and a
      note from the king indicating that the gold was for the person
      who removed the boulder from the roadway. The peasant learned what
      many of
      us never understand. Every obstacle presents an opportunity to
      improve our
      condition.

      5 - Fifth Important Lesson - Giving When it Counts

      Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at a hospital, I got to
      know a
      little girl named Liz who was suffering from a rare and serious
      disease. Her
      only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood transfusion from her
      5-year-old brother, who had miraculously survived the same disease
      and had
      developed the antibodies needed to combat the illness. The doctor
      explained
      the situation to her little brother, and asked
      the little boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his
      sister. I saw
      him hesitate for only a moment before taking a deep breath and
      saying, "Yes,
      I'll do it if it will save her."
      As the transfusion progressed, he lay in bed next to his sister and
      smiled,
      as we all did, seeing the color returning to her cheeks. Then his
      face grew
      pale and his smile faded. He looked up at the doctor and asked with a
      trembling voice, "Will I start to die right away?"
      Being young, the little boy had misunderstood the doctor; he thought
      he was
      going to have to give his sister all of his blood in order to save
      her.

      "Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been
      hurt and
      dance like you do when nobody's watching."