Attitude

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2006
      John is the kind of guy you love to hate. He is always in a good
      mood and always has something positive to say. When someone would
      ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "If I were any better, I
      would be twins!"

      He was a natural motivator.

      If an employee was having a bad day, John was there telling the
      employee how to look on the positive side of the situation.

      Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up and
      asked him, "I don't get it!

      You can't be a positive person all of the time. How do you do it?"

      He replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself, you have two
      choices today. You can choose to be in a good mood or ... you can
      choose to be in a bad mood.

      I choose to be in a good mood."

      Each time something bad happens, I can choose to be a victim or...I
      can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it.

      Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept
      their complaining or... I can point out the positive side of life! .
      I choose the positive side of life.

      "Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested.

      "Yes, it is," he said. "Life is all about choices. When you cut away
      all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react
      to situations. You choose how people affect your mood.

      You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line: It's
      your choice how you live your life."

      I reflected on what he said. Soon hereafter, I left the Tower
      Industry to start my own business. We lost touch, but I often
      thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of
      reacting to it.

      Several years later, I heard that he was involved in a serious
      accident, falling some 60 feet from a communications tower.

      After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, he was
      released from the hospital with rods placed in his back.

      I saw him about six months after the accident.

      When I asked him how he was, he replied, "If I were any better, I'd
      be twins...Wanna see my scars?"

      I declined to see his wounds, but I did ask him what had gone
      through his mind as the accident took place.

      "The first thing that went through my mind was the well-being of my
      soon-to-be born daughter," he replied. "Then, as I lay on the
      ground, I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live
      or...I could choose to die. I chose to live."

      "Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I asked.

      He continued, "..the paramedics were great.

      They kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when they wheeled
      me into the ER and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors
      and nurses, I got really scared. In their eyes, I read 'he's a dead
      man'. I knew I needed to take action."

      "What did you do?" I asked.

      "Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me," said
      John. "She asked if I was allergic to anything. 'Yes, I replied.'
      The doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply.
      I took a deep breath and yelled, 'Gravity'."

      Over their laughter, I told them, "I am choosing to live. Operate on
      me as if I am alive, not dead."

      He lived, thanks to the skill of his doctors, but also because of
      his amazing attitude... I learned from him that every day we have
      the choice to live fully.

      Attitude, after all, is everything.

      Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
      itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34.

      After all today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.