Silence the Noise

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2005
      "At time to be silent and a time to speak."Ecclesiates 3:7 NIV

      There's noise in my office.It's not ear shattering,but there's a
      constant stream of sound flowing through the space:the gurgle of the
      aquarium filter,stereo music,the jingling doorbell.Oh,and the sound
      of machines.We have gadgets sitting in the hallways emitting a
      low,breezy hum.I work in a counseling center,and these machines
      cover the voices conversing behind theripists'doors.Their hum is a
      necessary, comforting blanket of sound.

      At day's end,the machines are silenced,and the stereo is turned
      off.I breathe a sigh of relief.I forgot what silence sounds like.I
      hear all that noise without even realizing.

      We all live with noise,especially during the holidays.It's not heart
      shattering,but there's a constant,breezy hum.Our lives are filled
      with godly desires,people,and tasks,but these may deafen us to hear
      God sharing a word of hope, a new direction,or even correction.In
      order to speak to your willingness,you must hear God calling;to hear
      the call you must know stillness.There is a time for both silence
      and speaking.

      Philip Brooks penned," How silently the wondrous gift is given![That
      is how] God imparts to human hearts the blessings of His heaven."

      What sounds are you hearing right now,physically and spiritually?

      What will you turn down or off to make this season a bit quieter?

      Is the clamor of your own will making you deaf to God's call?

      Take a moment in silence to allow your heart to hear from God.

      ---Jennifer J. Wilson