Quotes to Remember

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2005
      To fight against sin is to fight against the devil, the world and
      oneself. The fight against oneself is the worst fight of all. -
      Martin Luther

      I arise today through God's strength to pilot me; God's might to
      uphold me; God's wisdom to guide me; God's eye to look before me;
      God's ear to hear me; God's word to speak for me; God's hand to
      guard me; God's way to lie before me; God's shield to protect me. -
      St. Patrick

      When the sinner comes to Christ's door begging mercy, he comes as a
      proud beggar standing on personal worth, until the Spirit brings
      conviction and the sinner sees himself entirely unworthy, naked of
      all worth, and Christ comes to him and grafts him into the True
      Vine. -Thomas Boston

      Remember, Christian soul, that thou has this day, and every day of
      thy life, God to glorify...Jesus to imitate...A soul to save...A
      body to mortify...Sins to repent of...Virtues to acquire... Hell to
      avoid...Heaven to gain...Eternity to prepare for...Time to profit
      by...Neighbors to edify...The world to despise...Devils to
      combat...Passions to subdue...Death, perhaps, to suffer...Judgment
      to undergo. -St. Augustine of Hippo

      Just as the sun's rising seems brightest and most beautiful when the
      night has been long and gloomy, so does God's grace appear most
      radiant when viewed against the grim darkness of my heart's
      sinfulness. -Paul Settle

      Sanctification, in its place and proportion, is quite as important
      as justification. -J. C. Ryle

      Bethlehem and Golgotha, the Manger and the Cross, the birth and
      death, must always be seen together. -J. Sidlow Baxter

      At Calvary we see what sin deserves and what God requires. Calvary
      was too terrible to be optional, the suffering involved too enormous
      to be unnecessary, and the Sufferer too precious to His Father to
      have been given over needlessly to such pain. -Peter Lewis

      Not until we have become humble and teachable, standing in awe of
      God's holiness and sovereignty...acknowledging our own littleness,
      distrusting our own thoughts, and willing to have our minds turned
      upside down, can divine wisdom become ours. -J. I. Packer

      God wants worshippers before workers; indeed, the only acceptable
      workers are those who have learned the art of worship. -A. W. Tozer