Don't Close the Blinds

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2004
      The other day, my nine year old son wanted to know why we were at
      war. My husband looked at our son and then looked at me. My husband
      and I were in the Army during the Gulf War and we would be honored
      to serve and defend our Country again today. I knew that my husband
      would give him a good explanation.

      My husband thought for a few minutes and then told my son to go
      stand in our front living room window. He said "Son, stand there and
      tell me what you see?"

      "I see trees and cars and our neighbor's houses." he replied.

      "OK, now I want you to pretend that our house and our yard is the
      United States of America and you are President Bush."

      Our son giggled and said "OK."

      "Now son, I want you to look out the window and pretend that every
      house and yard on this block is a different country" my husband
      said.

      "OK Dad, I'm pretending."

      "Now I want you to stand there and look out the window and pretend
      you see Saddam come out of his house with his wife, he has her by
      the hair and is hitting her. You see her bleeding and crying. He
      hits her in the face, he throws her on the ground, then he starts to
      kick her to death. Their children run out and are afraid to stop
      him, they are screaming and crying, they are watching this but do
      nothing because they are kids and they are afraid of their father.
      You see all of this son.... what do you do?"

      "Dad?"

      "What do you do son?"

      "I'd call the police, Dad."

      "OK. Pretend that the police are the United Nations and they take
      your call, listen to what you know and saw but they refuse to help.
      What do you do then son?"

      "Dad.......... but the police are supposed to help!" My son starts
      to whine.

      "They don't want to son, because they say that it is not their place
      or your place to get involved and that you should stay out of it,"
      my husband says.

      "But Dad...he killed her!!" my son exclaims.

      "I know he did...but the police tell you to stay out of it. Now I
      want you to look out that window and pretend you see our neighbor
      who you're pretending is Saddam turn around and do the same thing to
      his children."

      "Daddy...he kills them?"

      "Yes son, he does. What do you do?"

      "Well, if the police don't want to help, I will go and ask my next
      door neighbor to help me stop him." our son says.

      "Son, our next door neighbor sees what is happening and refuses to
      get involved as well. He refuses to open the door and help you stop
      him," my husband says.

      "But Dad, I NEED help!!! I can't stop him by myself!!"

      "WHAT DO YOU DO SON?" Our son starts to cry.

      "OK, no one wants to help you, the man across the street saw you ask
      for help and saw that no one would help you stop him. He stands
      taller and puffs out his chest. Guess what he does next son?"

      "What Daddy?"

      "He walks across the street to the old ladies house and breaks down
      her door and drags her out, steals all her stuff and sets her house
      on fire and then...he kills her. He turns around and sees you
      standing in the window and laughs at you. WHAT DO YOU DO?"

      "Daddy..."

      "WHAT DO YOU DO?"

      Our son is crying and he looks down and he whispers, "I'd close the
      blinds, Daddy."

      My husband looks at our son with tears in his eyes and asks
      him..."Why?"

      "Because Daddy.....the police are supposed to help people who needs
      them...and they won't help.... You always say that neighbors are
      supposed to HELP neighbors, but they won't help either...they won't
      help me stop him...I'm afraid....I can't do it by myself Daddy....I
      can't look out my window and just watch him do all these terrible
      things and...and.....do nothing...so....I'm just going to close the
      blinds... so I can't see what he's doing........and I'm going to
      pretend that it is not happening."

      I start to cry.

      My husband looks at our nine year old son standing in the window,
      looking pitiful and ashamed at his answers to my husbands questions
      and he says..."Son"

      "Yes, Daddy."

      "Open the blinds because that man.... he's at your front
      door..."WHAT DO YOU DO?"

      My son looks at his father, anger and defiance in his eyes. He balls
      up his tiny fists and looks his father square in the eyes, without
      hesitation he says: "I'D DEFEND MY FAMILY AND!! I'M NOT GONNA LET
      HIM HURT MOMMY OR MY SISTER, DAD!!! I'M GONNA FIGHT HIM, DAD, I'M
      GONNA FIGHT HIM!!!!!"

      I see a tear roll down my husband's cheek and he grabs our son to
      his chest and hugs him tight, and says... "It's too late to fight
      him, he's too strong and he's already at YOUR front door son.....you
      should have stopped him BEFORE he killed his wife, and his children
      and the old lady across the way. You have to do what's right, even
      if you have to do it alone, before it's too late." my husband
      whispers.

      THAT scenario I just gave you is WHY we are at war with Iraq. When
      good men stand by and let evil happen son, THAT is the greatest EVIL
      of all. Our President is doing what is right. We, as a free nation,
      must understand that this war is a war of humanity. WE must remove
      evil men from power so that we can continue to live in a free world
      where we are not afraid to look out our window so that my nine year
      old son won't grow up in a world where he feels that if he
      just "closes" that blinds the atrocities in the world won't affect
      him.

      "YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO
      DO IT ALONE!" BE PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN! BE PROUD OF OUR TROOPS!!
      SUPPORT THEM!!! SUPPORT AMERICA!! SO THAT IN THE FUTURE OUR CHILDREN
      WILL NEVER HAVE TO CLOSE THEIR BLINDS..."

      Benjamin C. Harper Jr./Command Chief Master Sergeant

      379th Air Expeditionary Wing "Mission First"

      DSN 318.437.2694

      "A good Chief is someone who can step on your boots and still leave
      a shine on them" Cadre