The Measure of Success

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2004
      A young man who had been reared on a farm decided to be a doctor in
      order that he might be of greater service to mankind. He felt that
      he could do more good and help more of his fellow men if he
      practiced medicine, than if he stayed on the farm.

      The years in medical school were strenuous ones. There were many
      sacrifices on his part, and plenty of work and study. His father and
      mother entered into the sacrifice, too. They went without many
      things in order that the boy might stay in school. Finally he
      graduated and served an internship, then went into a large city and
      began his chosen work.

      Things did not go too well. He didn't have many patients, and his
      income was not all he had expected. Evidence of his discouragement
      must have crept into his letters to his parents, for his father
      decided to go to the city to see his son. His visit was a pleasant

      "Well, son," he asked, "How are you getting along? How is your

      "I'm not getting along at all, dad. I am not doing a thing. Maybe I
      made a mistake."

      The father tried to say something which would encourage the young
      doctor. He had helped him before; maybe he could do something now.
      So he did his best.

      Later in the day the father went with his son to a free clinic,
      where the young man spent several hours each day without any
      financial recompense. Twenty-five suffering patients were cared for
      as carefully as if the doctor were to receive a large check from
      each one. He spoke words of cheer, and left each one feeling better.

      When they were alone again, the old gentleman said, "I thought you
      told me you were not doing anything. If I had given as much help to
      as many persons in a month as you have in a few hours this morning,
      I would thank God that I was good for something."

      "But there isn't any money in it, dad," the boy replied.

      "Money!" the old man said, with a tone of scorn in his voice. "What
      is money in comparison with being a help and a blessing to your
      fellow men? Forget the money. Don't let it worry you. I will go back
      to the farm and work the rest of my life to help support you, for in
      that way I shall be a blessing, too. I shall be happy by day and
      sleep soundly at night in the thought that I have helped you to help
      your fellow men."

      By C. L. Paddock

      Be encouraged and know that your efforts are not in vain. Success
      should never be measured by financial status, but rather by how many
      lives have been positively changed. We as believers are an extension
      of God's hands and feet and have been commanded to shine the light
      within us which is God's Light to a hurting and dying world. (Mark
      8:34-38) (Matthew 5:16)

      Have confidence in God's ability and run your race with a renewed
      determination and know that God is well pleased with the job that He
      has asked you to undertake and complete. He has promised to be with
      you so be encouraged and let the Joy of the Lord be your strength.
      (Hebrews 6:10)