"Period" Settlers of Catan?

  • Dungeon Damsel, elven
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29 1:52 PM
      Does anyone know of any 'period' appropriate versions or games
      similar to Settlers of Catan?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29 2:29 PM
        What's "period appropriate"? You mean, more in line with the generally
        accepted time period of the SCA? Or, a similar game that was actually
        played in period?

        If the second instance, then, no, I can't think of such a game - period
        games weren't usually "that" complicated (though you ever take a look at
        Rithmomachy? Mighty complex....). But if the first, then several variants
        of Settlers are period appropriate; I prefer the Cities and Knights version,
        but there's others, like "Settlers of Canaan", "Settlers of the Stone Age",
        etc. There are websites with lots of more esoteric variants, too, totally
        non-period-appropriate, but too funny not to mention: The Food Stamp
        variant, the Cold War variant, the Strip Settlers variant....(kidding! - I
        think) :+)

        Galen

        > From: "Dungeon Damsel, elven" <erginartesia@...>
        > Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:52:19 +0000
        > To: pennsicgames@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [pennsicgames] "Period" Settlers of Catan?
        >
        > Does anyone know of any 'period' appropriate versions or games
        > similar to Settlers of Catan?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dungeon Damsel, elven
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 29 8:14 PM
          Food Stamp Variant!!??!! omg... if only 'twer tru.. Since I work at
          the Agency who funds it!

          Well, my motive is that I've been trying to get members of my family
          into this game, and I get no nibbles on my bait. Even buttered
          popcorn won't convince 'em (the real stuff, not the cardboard tasting
          microwave variety). So, out of selfishness and a strong desire to
          get at least some of my money's worth out of the game, I was hoping
          to find Settlers fans at Pennsic... But, I'm not sure Pennsic people
          are into it ... at Pennsic anyway.

          I've never played cities and knights, only the original Settlers game.