Period Games Tent update

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2007

      There has been some behind the scenes activity for Pennsic 37 already,
      so I thought I'd pass along the latest news. The big news is that we
      are getting a larger tent next year! I have received confirmation from
      the Site Coordinator and a 20 x 30 foot tent is ours.

      I'm also working on getting our supplies stored in on of the Pennsic
      trailers so that we can free Istvan's camp from that job.

      The other thing I'm going to work on is a more formal staff schedule and
      larger call for volunteers. We've tried this in the past, but didn't
      have very good results. This time I'm hoping a little more organization
      up front will help us.

      The Games Tent will be open starting middle Saturday and running until
      final Friday (so 7 days total). Last year our hours were 9 AM to 5 PM.
      We may want to shift them to 10 AM to 6 PM. Thoughts?

      For staffing, we need two types of people with the following jobs:
      Helper
      - Watching over the games and supplies.
      - Helping the teachers, if needed.
      - Maintaining order (did I mention we get a lot of teens?)

      Gamer
      - All the Helper jobs plus teaching games and answering game related
      questions.

      My goal is to have two 4-hour Gamer shifts and four 2-hour Helper
      shifts. The idea is that it will be harder to fill the Gamer positions,
      but that we could get any Pennsic volunteer to fill the Helper positions

      As a side note, while I was going through some EK History stuff, I ran
      across a flier for the Games Tent from the first year it was in
      operation. I'll have to post the text here at some point.

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2007
        On Nov 28, 2007, at 11:37 AM, Mike Knauer wrote:

        > Greetings!
        >
        > There has been some behind the scenes activity for Pennsic 37 already,
        > so I thought I'd pass along the latest news. The big news is that we
        > are getting a larger tent next year! I have received confirmation from
        > the Site Coordinator and a 20 x 30 foot tent is ours.
        >
        > I'm also working on getting our supplies stored in on of the Pennsic
        > trailers so that we can free Istvan's camp from that job.
        >
        > The other thing I'm going to work on is a more formal staff schedule
        > and
        > larger call for volunteers. We've tried this in the past, but didn't
        > have very good results. This time I'm hoping a little more
        > organization
        > up front will help us.
        >
        > The Games Tent will be open starting middle Saturday and running until
        > final Friday (so 7 days total). Last year our hours were 9 AM to 5 PM.
        > We may want to shift them to 10 AM to 6 PM. Thoughts?
        >
        > For staffing, we need two types of people with the following jobs:
        > Helper
        > - Watching over the games and supplies.
        > - Helping the teachers, if needed.
        > - Maintaining order (did I mention we get a lot of teens?)
        >
        > Gamer
        > - All the Helper jobs plus teaching games and answering game related
        > questions.
        >
        > My goal is to have two 4-hour Gamer shifts and four 2-hour Helper
        > shifts. The idea is that it will be harder to fill the Gamer
        > positions,
        > but that we could get any Pennsic volunteer to fill the Helper
        > positions

        I assume that it is two 4-hour Gamer Shifts and four 2-hour Helper
        shifts per day.....

        > As a side note, while I was going through some EK History stuff, I ran
        > across a flier for the Games Tent from the first year it was in
        > operation. I'll have to post the text here at some point.

        Game Gnight, Inc. - Games for all Ages
        20 Quaker Ave.
        Cornwall, NY 12518
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2008

          In the past, I've usually taught some or all of these classes:
          Introduction to the Game of Go
          Introduction to the Game of Tarot
          Tafl Games - Fitchneal & Tablut

          I don't plan on teaching any of them this year, so if anyone was
          considering teaching them - please do!